My cockatiel without a crest

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Elene, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Elene

Elene Hatching

Dec 16, 2017
    Hi, my cockatiel is a lutino, female. One day we took her out of the cage and whilst she was flying and got to sit her feathers were going everywhere
    When we got her she had no crest hairs and almost non fo the back side oh her neck. She also had a small hole on her head and she didn't let us touch her.

Will the feathers grow back?
    Wil she be ok?
    (It's not a moult)
    View attachment 1211217

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Could you post a picture please?

3. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    How long have you had her? I know it's quite common for first time parents to want to start another clutch of eggs before their first batch of chicks have fledged and the cock bird can attack the chicks trying to get them out of the nestbox. That could be the reason your little girl had her head beat up as scalping is a common injury in that instance.

Is she still losing feathers? Young ones will moult a few times before their 'adult' moult. I've had two I hand reared grow back wing feathers, after we clipped them, before they were 12 weeks old!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome How long ago did this happen ? It looks as if she was physically injured when being caught.

5. PlymouthRockExpert

PlymouthRockExpert In the Brooder

Dec 15, 2017
    YEAH WOW UM well looks like someone got in a pretty major scuffle!!!!

6. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

It will grow back, it will take a while since crests grow slowly compared to the rest of the feathers but it will grow back. She's cute though sort of looks like a friar. :)

7. Elene

Elene Hatching

Dec 16, 2017
    She is not losing any feathers at the moment. To be honest her feathers are growing back and this happend ob Wednesday.

8. wonderchick22

wonderchick22 In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2018
    Chico
    She will be ok I don't think the feathers will grow back it might grow back it might not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: