My colorful flock....new additions coming soon....

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I have posted a few pics here and there of individual chickens or breeds, but nothing of my whole flock.

My "big" flock is a Jersey Giant Rooster, Jersey Giant pullet, 2 White Leghorn pullets, 2 Buttercup pullets, 1 Red (RI?) pullet, 3 Barred Cochin pullets.

They are quite the colorful group. I messed up my color scheme of "2 of each" by having only 1 red girl (she was added from a pair I had separately when I got rid of the roo) and the extra barred cochin.

mixedflock2.jpg

mixedflock3.jpg

(a RIR cockerel snuck into this pic)
mixedflock1.jpg

mixedflock4.jpg

buttercup_100809_04.jpg

My favorite red girl.

stewtweedle2.jpg

Then I added my "young flock". It is a Blue Andalusian Cockerel, 2 Blue Andalusian Pullets, 1 Splash Andalusian Pullet, 1 Black Andalusian Pullet, 1 Rhode Island Red Cockerel, 1 Rhode Island Red Pullet.

0916091747a.jpg

They are now a "super flock". Still do not all stay as 1 group most of the time, but get along just fine.

newflock.jpg

newflock2.jpg

Then I hatched out some more RIR and Salmon Faverolle chicks. Kept 2 pullets of each to add onto the big flock. 1 of the Salmon Fav is off-colored but still cute!

youngchicks.jpg

They are only about 6 weeks old so are still being kept in a separate pen during the day and in a crate in the coop at night.

Then I hatched out 3 brahma chicks (2 buff, 1 light) and 20 chicks from eggs from my own "big flock".....6 Rir/JerseyGiant, 14 WhiteLeghorn/JerseyGiant. I am keeping all 3 brahma chicks and a couple each of the mixes to add to my flock. This will be 2 buff brahmas, 1 light brahma, 2 black chicks, 2 white chicks with black markings.

chickbrooder.jpg

blackchickshed.jpg

whitechickshed.jpg

mixedchicksshed.jpg

These chicks are only about 2-3 weeks old, so are still in the brooder shed in the garage. I will get rid of the "extras" in the next few weeks and then eventually move the remaining chicks to the big coop when they are feathered and able to go out into one of the pens during the day. I expect 1 of the Buff Brahmas is a cockerel....cant tell on the other buff or the light.....so that will bump up the roosters to 4.

I consider selling my Blue Andalusian flock (including the splash and black pullets) off and on, to bring my numbers down.....but they are just so pretty! They really add some nice color to the flock with the blues and the splash.

I love having such a mixed up flock. Would love to add some Buff Orps too......maybe next chick season? I am done doing younguns for this winter.

Last edited:
NellaBean put your hands up and step away from the eggs and the bator, you have the birdflu and must stop the madness. It is contagious and you are making me want to hatch, where are my ANTIHATCH pills!!! Seriously they are beautiful birds!!!

No worries SWDUNN, I actually um....ran over my incubator the other day. So my hatching days are mostly over. Until my little cochins go broody, of course
ya.gif

I had never planned to let my chickens out into the "dog area" all the time, but they do such a good job on the bugs and stuff that I figure why not take advantage of the free food? Also, it makes integrating new chickens so much easier with all of that room to run from each other. Now if only I could get the other half acre of brush cleared out and fenced to make a permanent chicken area......

Two years into this chicken thing and thats the first time I ever saw a buttercup!!! Now I want some seriously..Now Im drooling I want some of those pullets!!! Im going to have to research come Spring to get some eggs--thanks for sharing your wonderful flock pictures-very healthy and gorgeous!

New pics....

Here is Stew #2, my younger RIR that just started laying this week.

stewnumber2_102509.jpg

New pics of the littlest monkeys.

whitejg2.jpg

My crazy "Salmon" Fav (totally not salmon!)

weirdfav1.jpg

The "young" group, outside of their tractor for the first meet and greet with the "big kids".

4kids.jpg

Giant Rooster.

giantrooser_oct1.jpg

Giant Rooster with Stew #2 (he was polite to her when she was young, but the day she left the coop after laying her first egg, he showed her what is what for the big girls. poor thing, traumatized for life, ha ha)

giantrooster_oct2.jpg

I just have to ask. In the first set of pictures, pic #3, the little darling closest to the camera...What is this exquisite creature? I'm terrible with breed recognition and I'd love to know what she is! Beautiful bird! Such a delightful expression on her face!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom