My comb is huge but I'm still an Exchequer girl ... right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kcaywood, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    My Exchequer Leghorn is nearly three months old. Leghorn pullets do have large combs ... but this large? I don't see pointed hackles yet ... but maybe the start of saddle feathers? Opinions, please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I'd say boy, sorry! At that age, the comb and wattles should not be that red.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I think it might be a pullet. The hen's combs also usually flop to one side as they get older, and the roosters will stay up staight. How long has the comb been bright red? I dont see any pointed feathers yet. At 3 months, you should see the start of them.

I have a Leghorn/EE pullet that I thought was a rooster for the longest time because her comb turned red a 2 weeks old. I didn't pay too much attention too "him" because I sell/eat most of my extra roosters, and I know at 3-4 months old, "he" didnt have any pointed hackle or saddle feathers. She now lays a light blue/green egg almost every day.

4. CluckGirl

CluckGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    NJ
    Look at the saddle fathers if they are not pointed then it should be a girl.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Sorry, 12 weeks is way too early for that much comb development in pullets, Leghorn or not. :(

6. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Thanks for the input, everyone. FarmerChef, the comb has gotten red in the last couple of weeks. I find your message quite encouraging ... I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's a she. This is my third attempt at having an Exchequer Leghorn pullet. My old dog killed the first two, Gorgeous I and II, but he's gone now .... I'm hoping this is Gorgeous the Third. CluckGirl, the saddle feathers are still rounded - so I'm hoping! [​IMG]

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i say boy
    this is my pullet at 2 months. really small pink comb
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Yep, cockerel. At 3 months a pullet comb would barely be pink at all!

9. At that age, it's a cockerel for sure.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote cockerel although I have only had Cali. Whites not leghorns. At 3 months a pullet won't have a comb that large and red from my experience.

However, I am not 100% sure so hang onto her/him!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by