My completely free chicken coop * pic heavy

alexysmommy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Okay, be easy on me, this is the first thing I ever built, and I did it completely on my own. I was not going for pretty here LOL I just wanted to get it done, and it to work. I got everything from my parents 200 year old barn, and a huge machine shipping crate that DH brought home from work. I got tin from an old shed and part of the barn roof. It's still not done, have to put hardware wire over the vents, and open a vent by the nest box. Also have to finish the top of the run, and the plywood will be moved so they can get under the coop. I still have 2 more of the walls of run to get out of the barn, unfortunately we fell through the floor so have to figure out how to get it down LOL

5 of these are roosters and will be going to a new home soon...so there will just be the 6 girls in here.

The ONLY money I have spent so far has been on screws and nails for the tin. It looks ghetto yes, but my chicks love it and it works. And best of all, it was FREE!!

from the front..their run is HEAVY welded wire...we can't even find anything that will cut through it.
Picture085.jpg

my access/cleaning/feeding door (its a table top LOL)
Picture086.jpg

nestboxes
Picture087.jpg

back
Picture088-1.jpg

old ammo box feeder
Picture089.jpg

other roost and you can see where they go in the add on...my silkies like to sleep back there
Picture091.jpg

old fashioned feeder
Picture093.jpg

they love it outside
Picture083.jpg

from the back porch..they will be nice and shaded back here
Picture101.jpg

You know what, you did so good! I am so jealous. You can slap some paint on it if you have time and the money and it will look wonderful!!! I am threatening to go ahead and order my babies, before it gets too hot, and then DH will HAVE to move my little shed and get it going for me. I am very handy with things, if he can just get it moved to the spot I want . . . .I can insulate and get that stuff done for him, and if he cuts the wood I can nail it over the insulation . . .the next boxes I will need help with though, but I know I for sure want them like yours and some of the others, outside and easy accessibility. I am thinking winter!!!!
hmm.png

How very cool. You are way lucky to have had access to the old barn. I have managed to do my coop about 50% salvaged materials - but not as good as yours!

At the recommendation of someone on this board I managed to get my Franken-coop to look better by painting it all one color. That made all of the mixing and matching of materials not so obvious. It looks like yours is mostly the same color!

Yep it will def get painted..I started but ran out of paint! Ty, I know it looks horrible LOL but it does have some charm.

Hey, wow. It looks WAY better than mine!

If it helps, home improvement stores sell "wrong color" paints for like $5 a gallon. That's where I get all mine. Sometimes it's pink, then the next week pastel green, then black.... so check back often.

Back
Top Bottom