My coop and run

Maldugle

Hatching
May 12, 2021
Perth Western Australia
Hi everyone, just a Question, my coop is 7ft x 7ft and the run is 14ft x 7ft so the whole thing is 7ft wide and 21ft long. I have 6 chickens in there but have been told that is not big enough, do I need to make it bigger?

Regards Mal

Attachments

• 20210507_122113.jpg
    20210507_122113.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210507_122118.jpg
    20210507_122118.jpg
    995.3 KB · Views: 13
Yes this is a good size for six. In such a setup, not only the coop but also the covered run needs cleaning. But its doable and with some roosts and hiding places in the run the will be fine.

If you don’t like cleaning so much and like to see happy scratching chickens, you could add an ‘open’ run to it or let them free range.
But this is only easy to do if you don’t have predators around you’re place. With predators you need to build more and need to cover an outdoor run with hwc or very strong netting.
Having chickens is all about choices and avoiding things you don’t want to experience.

Welcome to BYC.

The usual guidelines are that for each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

4 square feet in the coop,​
10 square feet in the run,​
1 linear foot of roost,​
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.​

The dimensions you have a comfortably generous for 6 hens. I can't see any ventilation in the photos, but if you've got good ventilation on the sides that aren't shown then your chickens are lucky to have such a nice coop. :)

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters so if you add your location to your profile we can give better advice.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, just a Question, my coop is 7ft x 7ft and the run is 14ft x 7ft so the whole thing is 7ft wide and 21ft long. I have 6 chickens in there but have been told that is not big enough, do I need to make it bigger?

Regards Mal
Looks good! Definitely big enough for 6 chickens.

Welcome to BYC.

The usual guidelines are that for each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

4 square feet in the coop,​
10 square feet in the run,​
1 linear foot of roost,​
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.​

The dimensions you have a comfortably generous for 6 hens. I can't see any ventilation in the photos, but if you've got good ventilation on the sides that aren't shown then your chickens are lucky to have such a nice coop. :)

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters so if you add your location to your profile we can give better advice.
Looks like the whole side is vents. Might be wrong but that looks like mesh over the nest box up near the roof to me.

Size is good.
That 2" chicken wire on the run is not predator proof.
Might not have enough ventilation in coop, depending on your climate.
More pics might help with that.

Welcome to BYC! @Maldugle
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1620826255697.png

Back
Top Bottom