My coop before I decorated and me and some of my girls

Quote:
Yep, I have flowers now and hanging plants. I just keep decorating. It's my hobby now
smile.png

You sound like me, learn as you go. My hubby told a friend a couple of years ago he would like to get some chickens someday. Later that day we found 3 chickens in a cage in the middle of our driveway. lol Lucky for me it's not hard to figure out what to do with them.

I also had one injury awhile after we got them. They made the mistake of going into my husky's dog house to eat his food. He didn't like that much and the one he caught he threw her out and she died. Now I have even more and they walk right by him all day long and he doesn't even raise his head. I didn't touch him but he knew I was upset with him. They go straight for his house every time I let them out and he doesn't care.

That really looks great! I have some questions that I'd like to have answered since I will be building my run soon.
1. I can't tell if you have any 4x4 posts; did you use all 2x4s, and if so, did you bury them? Are they treated?
2. Why did you remove the chicken wire that you originally had inside?
3. Did you bury any of the hardware cloth around the perimeter of the coop? If so, how deep?
4. Can't fairly large snakes go through 1/2-inch hardware cloth. Did you consider doing the bottom in 1/4 inch instead?
5. Do you have any wire on the ground that's buried extending out from edge.
Thanks

Last edited:
What did you use to trim your paths? It looks like just some wood logs, maybe? I've been thinking about doing something like that (the paths) with mine but don't know how to go about it just yet.

Quote:
1. For the run we got rider mower pallets from Sear's for free and modified them by removing some of the cross pieces then I stained them sealed them in a cedar water seal. No posts.......all pallets attached with screws and wired together and to ground.

2. Please see post about my injured pullet Scarlet and you will know. Also look under " I took my chicken shopping today"

3. No, we used tent stakes and put mulch over it.
4. I hope not......but I feed 20 outdoor cats and they love snakes.......get the logic? They love em' I hate em'

5. Yes a foot out under the mulch, but not buried.

The coop was a shed from Home Depot.

Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom