My coop build

That looks great!! I can't wait to see it finished
big_smile.png

Ok here is an update and some pics! I am just about to the point of moving it outside and putting the roof on. It will be to tall to get out of our garage if I put it on inside.

Thanks for all the kind words! As far as my carpentry skills you can thank Mr. Peterson from my Junior High School wood shop class. That was over 20 years ago, but I have been using what I learned from him ever since.
smile.png

As far as the floor question goes - no trap door. It is going to have a wire floor done with 1/4" hardware cloth. The birds will be allowed to free range our entire backyard which is about 1/3 of an acre. The thought of the wire floor with wheels is that the poop can fall down and act as fertilizer, then we can move the coop every few days to a new patch of grass
wink.png
It will also allow us to easily hose out the coop when needed. The wire floor should not be a problem except for a handful of cold days we have in the winter. For those really cold days (less that 2 weeks total a year) the floor is easily covered. In one of the new pics you will see a doorway for the little ladies on the side of the coop.

Both ends of the coop open completely - 2 doors on each end - those are also for easy maintenance and cleaning. On one side there is a feeder built into a door and water on the other. You can kind of see it in the last pic.

I will post the plans for everyone once I have finished and they are complete.

Here are the pics:

14375_dsc00138.jpg

14375_dsc00142.jpg

14375_dsc00144.jpg

Coop is going outside today to get a roof, once that's done it will be painted, stained, and sealed!!! I am ahead of schedule on this project. The chicks we ordered from MPC get here next week, 5 EEs, 1 white leghorn, 1 australorp, 1 BR, and 1 red star. They won't need the coop anytime soon, but it will be nice to have it all ready for them when they do! Now I can get my wife off my back and tile the laundry room like I have been promising all summer
wink.png

Here is a funny story about my early wood working days.
Mr. P was a really cool teacher. That is until I got a crossbow kit built the stock, put the bow on. Then being 13 the next step is what can I shoot? I sharpened a dowel rod on a belt sander, notched the end on a band saw, and shot the "arrow" at a makeshift target (piece of notebook paper with permanent marker target) on the wall. Well, the "arrow" went through the target, through the sheet rock wall and into the drafting room, hit the wall on the other side of that room, and shattered on the cinder block outer wall. He was not so happy with me that day. Luckily nobody was hurt. I had to surrender my crossbow for good, fix the wall, and got detention for what seemed like the rest of the year. Thank God is was back in those days and not today. If that had happened nowadays instead of detention I would have probably ended up in jail. Boys do crazy things
wink.png
I am slightly less impulsive now
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom