My Coop..built by a pro carpenter!

...Here, I have to simmer water on the stove constantly in winter just to get the house up to thirty percent..you can’t even sleep if the humidity goes too low..
I simmer water on the stove in winter for the same reason. In the summer we run a dehumidifier in the basement to keep mold from growing. Even though the relative humidity outside is higher than in winter than in summer.

Thought I’d post my coop now that I have my new iPad up and running. When I decided to get chickens, I shopped on Thumbtack site, found a local professional carpenter who was looking to do an interesting side job. I was so lucky..he was a super guy, I helped where I could, he was very fast and we used a basic design from Cleancoops dot com, their Shiloh design, a 10 by 6 floorplan with nest boxes on the exterior wall. We changed a few things, he simplified the roof, and pitch, eliminating truss building, which was super lucky because my local ordinances said coops couldn’t be taller than eight feet, this brought the roofline to exactly eight feet..lucky! The only negatives turned out to be the windows purchased don’t open fully, only half the window opens, and the laying box lids are way too heavy, so,I sealed them off with glue and caulk as I decided to clean in there every day anyway. We expanded the run to fit the site to be as large as possible without digging up a new apple and walnut tree. I also had electricity run to it, it’s very cold and very hot, I used two large sweeter heaters at five to six weeks to acclimate the chicks to the big coop, and have a portable swamp cooler to cool the building off as it has been up to 106F here. I installed an auto door as well..I cut the main ppl door and installed hardware cloth for a half screen door to increase summer ventilation..

It‘s double walled, insulated..

edit..the heater on the wall I moved to the lower north wall, the narrow side, I haven’t used it yet..I used the infrared sweeter heaters though, they were fantastic. Lately it’s all been about keeping them cool! If you like the exterior paint colors, you can find them in the Sherwin Williams home ideas section..I have lots more photos, think I ran into a limit though..!
Wowee Zowee! Lucky Chickens!

I guess it's because I grew up with frequent power outages due to summer thunderstorms, but I have a strong preference for passive ventilation systems. To the point that we paid extra to have windows placed on the gable-end walls of our manufactured home so that we could ventilate naturally in mild weather.
What’s great is that there are tons of solar alternatives..I’ve seen a lot of solar vent fans, solar security lights etc etc..

Yep!

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.23.05 AM.png

Most ventilation estimates you find give a number so high there’s no possible way you could ventilate that much without creating dangerous winter drafts in your coop.”
The main problem is quite frankly, most people don't have enough vertical height into their coops to allow for ample ventilation to be added in.

Personally I find 1 sq ft per bird to be bare minimum as far as ventilation in most climates. I'm close to 3 sq ft per bird not including doors. If I could rebuild the coop, I would increase it even more, even though I live in a relatively moderate climate, as it certainly is welcome when temps get above 80F or so, as my coop sits in the sun most of the day.

The main problem is quite frankly, most people don't have enough vertical height into their coops to allow for ample ventilation to be added in.
I have pretty good vertical height in my coop. In my addition, not so much, and some of the ventilation in that part isn't very high either.

Last winter, I lowered my chickens' roost to help keep any drafts above their heads at night. I also used some furnace filter material to cover part of the openings. Air still circulates in and out, but it cut down any "feelable" breeze. I'll be doing that on the lower areas in the addition.

I close the pop door at night for security. I have the people door open during the day. I did that last winter too, except when we had a cold spell that dropped into the single digits and went below zero at night. My roo got some frostbite on the points of his comb and on his wattles. The hens were fine.

I have pretty good vertical height in my coop. In my addition, not so much, and some of the ventilation in that part isn't very high either.

Last winter, I lowered my chickens' roost to help keep any drafts above their heads at night. I also used some furnace filter material to cover part of the openings. Air still circulates in and out, but it cut down any "feelable" breeze. I'll be doing that on the lower areas in the addition.

I close the pop door at night for security. I have the people door open during the day. I did that last winter too, except when we had a cold spell that dropped into the single digits and went below zero at night. My roo got some frostbite on the points of his comb and on his wattles. The hens were fine.
Our problem can be snow piled up that turns to ice, then two weeks that never rise above freezing morning or night, single digits..but, super dry air. Thats been a pleasant surprise in their care..their poop is dessicated by morning, or at least scrape-able for the cecal poops..

Back
Top Bottom