My coop caught on fire!! *Pics added in Post 15*

JustMandy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
I have a back yard coop in the city. We put a light out there today to see if we could get more eggs. I had my 6 year old plug it in and never checked it. (It's a bulb on a wire hanging from a screw.) It fell and smoldered the hay and started to burn the ply wood walls/floor. We weren't home. My neighbors called the fire department and 5 trucks came out to save my tiny coop and 11 chickens!

They were wet but okay, I tried to dry them off but they didn't like that idea. (Only here is that not a weird idea!!)

In the morning I'll pull out all the wet hay and see the damage better.

I know some firemen who will be getting some eggs tomorrow!!

Last edited:
OH NO! Sadly this sort of post comes around this time of year. Always best to use a chain in addition to any sort of clamp as a back up plan.

Glad it wasn't worse than it was!

So scary!!! Glad everyone is okay.
hugs.gif

Glad you, your coop and birds are ok. This thread should be required reading for those that want to put a heat lamp in their coop because they're worried their birds might get a little cool in the winter.

I'm Glad they all got out.. and just got wet.

I use the energy efficent bulbs for that reason, they generate no heat, just light, and its on a timer on @ 4pm off @ 8:30 PM

Last edited:
Wow, so glad they made it out okay. They've been warning ppl daily on this forum about the possibility of fire when trying to heat the coop. This sure made up my mind.

I am super paranoid about this. Here are the steps I have taken to prevent fires.

First, I don't heat my coop. I have standard size chickens with normal feathers, they are fine to 20 below.

I have a compact fluorescent light (does not give off heat) in my coop, which I put into one of those heat lamp heat shields, so hopefully nothing gets close enough to break it, and this is attached to an eye bolt screwed into the ceiling with one of those carabiner clips.

Anything electrical (just the light for laying and water heater) that goes into the coop is also plugged into a GFCI outlet.

I also routinely check all wires for mice chewing.

Back
Top Bottom