My coop is built!

crayon

Songster
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Hillman Michigan
I am so excited!!!! My friend came over today and her and her husband helped build the coop! He is quite "crafty" that way!! I do still have some stuff to do- lighting, and fence in an area for them to be "out of the coop".

We have a huge pole barn- 32x40. So we built a large box (enough for all our 17 chicks) in one of the corners and will chicken wire an area about 15feet by 8ft for their daily stretching and hanging out.

We get a ton of snow her in Northern Michigan, so I am thrilled to have this! I put the babies in there today (half our flock are abut 8 weeks) and they all went up and perched right away! Whoot....

ETA- we used ALL recycled doors and wood. We are building an "outside" area inside the pool barn for the chickens in the winter time so they can still have lots of DAY space to roam.

We put the coop near our main door- because we are going to chicken wire a larger area so I can get in and out of the barn in the winter time.

95142_chickens3_088.jpg

95142_chickens3_087.jpg

We had an old apple tree latter that we cut down for perching!

95142_chickens3_093.jpg

I got 3 sets of shelves from a garage sale for $10 total- We screwed them into a side wall- perfect nesting boxes!

95142_chickens3_092.jpg

My Partridge Rocks Roo- he is 8 weeks. He like the nest boxes! lol...

95142_chickens3_097.jpg

Last edited:
we used ALL recycled doors and wood. We are building an "outside" area inside the pool barn for the chickens in the winter time so they can still have lots of DAY space to roam.

We put the coop near our main door- because we are going to chicken wire a larger area so I can get in and out of the barn in the winter time.

95142_chickens3_088.jpg

95142_chickens3_087.jpg

We had an old apple tree latter that we cut down for perching!

95142_chickens3_093.jpg

I got 3 sets of shelves from a garage sale for $10 total- We screwed them into a side wall- perfect nesting boxes!

95142_chickens3_092.jpg

My Partridge Rocks Roo- he is 8 weeks. He like the nest boxes! lol...

95142_chickens3_097.jpg

Quote:
SO funny!!! I always open up these threads about finished coops or building coops-- just HOPING there are pictures... and when there aren't any, I am sooooo disappointed!

To the OP--- post some pics!!! Please!!!
smile.png
I'm happy for you that it's nearly done, but I'd love to see what you are building!

Quote:
oh, we posted at the same time! I LOVE using recycled stuff! I think coops that use recycled stuff are a lot more interesting than brand new builds. It looks really nice, the inside looks like it's great! Are you going to put some screened in "windows" in the doors for venting? It looks a little too secure! ha!
wink.png
Great job! Your chickens are cute.

Well there are vents along the sides of the coop where we secured to the studs going horizontal- so there is at least a 1inch gap all the away around the coop where it buts up against the pole barn- We may put in something else- but we are going to have the whole outside area for them to roam during the day- so mostly this "coop" section will be for sleeping and laying some eggs!

Back
Top Bottom