My Coop is done....With PICS

nasr69

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2017
Hi
Here is my TSC coop with the additions. Any suggestions would be appreciated! The run size is 12 foot ( well 11ft 9 inch) x 40 inch. I have right now 6 chicks but 1 is a Roo and will have to be re- homed.

Hi
Right now they are hidden behind the ramp to the coop. They still come into the house at night so I have the small water and feeder. When they are staying out there full time I will get bigger ones and was thinking of hanging under the coop part? Do you think thats ok? What do you think about the run size? Any suggestions on ground covering? sand? shaving? I want to clean it once a week and need a bedding that will be manageable or should I just rack the ground? Thank you!

This was the first thing I have ever built....all Ill say is thank god it was pre-fab....lol
lol.png

I should add that this coop/run is kinda cheap made and I don't expect it to last more then a year but due to being in a city I needed something that was cute and easy. Next year I will be moving to a small farm so by then the girls will be getting a larger better made coop/run and be able to free range. But for now I will not be able to free range as its against the rules where I live.

I know you said you're planning to move in the future, but that run is a little tight with 6 birds (or even 5). Ideally you want a minimum of 10 sq ft per bird, and if you have the feeders under the coop that's going to eat up even more space.

Since you aren't allowed to free range maybe you can attach another extension to the run door. You could just make a small enclosure of hardware cloth that clips to the existing wire so it can be removed if needed for access to the run(s).

Depending on your climate you might not need to buy anything for the run at all - I see a nice amount of dried leaves so I'd rake those up and throw them in there for the birds to scratch at.

Hi there, I am looking at doing this same set up for 4 birds. I'm in a city as well so I can't build a giant shed that takes up the whole yard. How is this coop and run holding up a year later? Thanks in advance for the insight!

Hi! Do you get much rain or wind where you live? I had that coop for about 2 weeks before I ditched it...one storm and my chicks were drenched, and there wasn’t even much wind! It worked great as a brooder in my garage, but caused nothing but anxiety once moved outside. I just want you to have a contingency plan if necessary!

Well crap. I was planning on giving it a few coats of vinyl paint and caulking any obvious weak spots, plus mounting the whole thing on pressure treated 4x4s. I live in Chicago so there is plenty of everything weather wise. Where did yours leak- like the sides or roof?

I live in Iowa and had it tucked between our house & garage, on the east side of the house. I got seepage from the roof, windows, doors, you name it. Also, the wood is very thin and exapanded when wet, which then popped out the nails. Also, I’m pretty sure a spring thunderstorm breeze could have sent the thing flying off to Kansas. I spent a small fortune modifying it (reinforcing lock & hardware cloth, adding a door to loft, paint, 2x4’s for base, etc.) and wish I would have just spent the money on a properly constructed coop from the beginning, but I was in a hurry. There are lots of threads on here about building (or having built!) secure, small coops which would, IMO, be a much better use of your time & money. And if you’re into salvage/recycling, you can really build something cute, safe & secure on the cheap!

Back
Top Bottom