My Coop is done....With PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nasr69, Apr 12, 2017.

1. nasr69

nasr69 Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Hi
    Here is my TSC coop with the additions. Any suggestions would be appreciated! The run size is 12 foot ( well 11ft 9 inch) x 40 inch. I have right now 6 chicks but 1 is a Roo and will have to be re- homed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Where are your food and water stations?

3. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    Cute! Was it difficult to put together?

4. nasr69

nasr69 Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Hi
    Right now they are hidden behind the ramp to the coop. They still come into the house at night so I have the small water and feeder. When they are staying out there full time I will get bigger ones and was thinking of hanging under the coop part? Do you think thats ok? What do you think about the run size? Any suggestions on ground covering? sand? shaving? I want to clean it once a week and need a bedding that will be manageable or should I just rack the ground? Thank you!

This was the first thing I have ever built....all Ill say is thank god it was pre-fab....lol[​IMG]

I should add that this coop/run is kinda cheap made and I don't expect it to last more then a year but due to being in a city I needed something that was cute and easy. Next year I will be moving to a small farm so by then the girls will be getting a larger better made coop/run and be able to free range. But for now I will not be able to free range as its against the rules where I live.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I know you said you're planning to move in the future, but that run is a little tight with 6 birds (or even 5). Ideally you want a minimum of 10 sq ft per bird, and if you have the feeders under the coop that's going to eat up even more space.

Since you aren't allowed to free range maybe you can attach another extension to the run door. You could just make a small enclosure of hardware cloth that clips to the existing wire so it can be removed if needed for access to the run(s).

Depending on your climate you might not need to buy anything for the run at all - I see a nice amount of dried leaves so I'd rake those up and throw them in there for the birds to scratch at.

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by