My coop / run so far :)

Looks great!!and pretty secure. Make sure you have a way to close any openings at night. Having ventilation is imperative for the coop but it's amazing what creatures of the night can squeeze through when they realize there's vulnerable chickens in there. And really hard door latches. But it looks great! Somewhat jealous. Mine is critter proofed and works great but not nearly as nice looking!! How many are you planning on?

:thNO CHICKENS!!!!! Oh my you both are getting the coop before the hen now aren't you!
;)

Good job and looking like a super good coop! Both the OP and Bobby!
:woot :thumbsup
I didn't mean to high-jack the OP, but also wanted to share my ongoing project. My run has been there for about two years, because I've had some health issues and it hasn't been completed. All it needs is the final screening and a front door installed.

I just retired a few months ago and going through a melt-down/detox, uncomfortable phase and haven't gotten busy yet. There are many projects on the table, but this needs to get going so I can have my chickens in the next few weeks.

Looks great!!and pretty secure. Make sure you have a way to close any openings at night. Having ventilation is imperative for the coop but it's amazing what creatures of the night can squeeze through when they realize there's vulnerable chickens in there. And really hard door latches. But it looks great! Somewhat jealous. Mine is critter proofed and works great but not nearly as nice looking!! How many are you planning on?
For ventilation, I'm gonna have screened-in open eaves under those rafters, and some drilled holes near the crest of the roof, and as an added bonus, I'm gonna add about eight of these adjustable vents around the lower perimeter, above the bedding. Our winters are pretty mild, so I may not need to make any adjustments to them. I'm thinking they would work well for my needs. --BB

Attachments

• Floor Register-01.jpg
    Floor Register-01.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
That's sounds awesome. My main worry is about the evils That lurk at night. Looks like your hens will have a nice and safe pad! How many you planning?

I don't have any chickens yet. I wanted to have everything ready for them before I get some. This is our first time building a coop and our first time owing chickens.
oh, you're doing it right! we always get chicks and then scramble to figure out how to make room for them. Don't think I'd have chickens otherwise. 10 years ago my husband and daughter came home with a cardboard box with 4 chicks. Next day we went back and got too more! addicted now :)
Best of luck and have fun picking out the chicks!

Yes I plan on it. We repurposed a lot of the materials used otherwise I would have used something more durable lol.
Repurposing is a good thing. It seems like folks waste so much now a days, and with a bit of improvisation and ingenuity, your own trash can become your own treasure. Thumbs up to you!!! --BB

Last edited:
I am planning on between 6-12 hens. The coop will have four roosts about 6-ft long. It will be plenty of room for them to roost at night, but during the day, they'll just be hanging outside most of the time. From my calculations, 160 square feet should be enough without overcrowding. Here's one of my many sketches. My run is only four 8x8 ft squares minus the chicken TV deck, with one corner reserved for a small coop. --BB

Attachments

• Garden-02.jpg
    Garden-02.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
That's more than enough and room to expand! Even with four roosts they wil probably all cram themselves onto one. I have 3 but all9 want to be on the same one. Maybe they all want to by their rooster. I think you'll have some happy hens

That's more than enough and room to expand! Even with four roosts they wil probably all cram themselves onto one. I have 3 but all9 want to be on the same one. Maybe they all want to by their rooster. I think you'll have some happy hens
My coop is on the small side, being 6x6 feet. The roosts will be ladder style which will retract up to the roof to make the area completely open. With the nest boxes being external, to coop is just an open area for them to mill around if they don't care to be outside. The front of the coop will be a swivel door to completely open the coop.

Back
Top Bottom