My coop smells like a Pig Pen

It's rained here seems like forever too!!!! But better than snow and ice i guess.

I would be happy if the ground would freeze and stay that way for awhile. Just to get away from all the mud for awhile

I use DE in my coop in their run and where they like to dust bathe. In the pine shavings in their coop I sprinkle FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth (DE) on the shavings. Also my roosts in my coop are over wire which allows the poop through and I sprinkle the DE over the poop too. The pine shavings are on the floor in the rest of the coop. Monthly I add some shavings and weekly I add DE. Once in awhile I throw some scratch on the shaving with the DE and let the chickens mix it up. They so a very good job. I have no problems with flies, stink and such. My pine shavings stay nice and dry easy to clean out.

If you can find some, try using Stable Boy powder, it mixes safely with your DE, and is really impressive. We've had a wet year until recently, and the coop stayed in good shape. Can also be used in the run.
cool.png

Quote:
Ditto here...the coop temp was 40 degrees with the heat lamps over the waterers but the humidity was 80%! I have tons of ventilation and two windows....Sweet PDZ is not touching it here either.
sad.png
With snow and now freezing rain I am losing my mind.

Last edited:
Quote:
Being from FL we have the luxury of having sand floors and I do in all my coops. I totally agree with you. I have no smells from any coops, just my composter (yuk!).

We just had huge amounts of rain her in Ma.( some parts got huge amounts of an ice storm but I am not that far north...Whew! ) And now you midwesterners are sending that huge snow storm our way today! My backyard was a sloppy mess last week, now it is frozen and later today it will be buried. New England for ya.. ErinM

I don't have that humidity problem here in Maine (at least not this time of year.) I am using the deep litter method with DE. Every other day we "poop scoop". I also provide BOSS or scratch inside on top of shavings and the chickens do a wonderful job turning the litter all day long.

Sounds like a sand floor is the way to go in hot humid areas.

Mine free range, so I'm not having run smells and I'm using the deep litter method in the coop~not having excessive smells there either. We have the rain here also. I have plastic over all the windows in my coop but its pretty well ventilated by the pop door and various cracks in the walls and floors. I am using some very sweet, green hay for litter and the chickens are keeping it turned well. I just throw a couple of handfuls of corn in the bedding and it entertains them greatly while getting my bedding turned.

My egg production is going up daily, as my 5 mo. old flock are starting to lay now.

I feel for all you folks who have enclosed runs~I can imagine the rains is reeking havoc with them!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom