My coop smells like a Pig Pen

Quote:
Thanks, I'll go with the granules.
BTW, this post shamed me into spending the last hour-and-a-half
spreading d.e. in both coops and over the poo in the catch pans and stirring up the equine pellets in the Orpingtons' coop and the pine shavings in the silkies' coop. I gave up waiting for Anne to do it. Honestly though, neither had begun to smell (the coops that is, not Anne or I); it was just that my brother's going to be here taking care of them next week while my son, his wife, Anne, and I are in Florida visiting my daughter, and I don't want him to have anything to do while he's here other than taking care of the chickens and dogs.

I use a stall dry product they carry at the feed store. It's safe for poultry and is a mix of: "Composed of a natural blend of diatomaceous earth and clay in granular form (similar to cat litter). Neutralizes ammonia and controls odour and moisture."

I've heard people use it in their barn, and also mix in their cat litter to help with odor. It made a huge difference in my coop, raining like crazy here but no odor in the few months I've been using that.

I use DE in my coop in their run and where they like to dust bathe. In the pine shavings in their coop I sprinkle FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth (DE) on the shavings. Also my roosts in my coop are over wire which allows the poop through and I sprinkle the DE over the poop too. The pine shavings are on the floor in the rest of the coop. Monthly I add some shavings and weekly I add DE. Once in awhile I throw some scratch on the shaving with the DE and let the chickens mix it up. They so a very good job. I have no problems with flies, stink and such. My pine shavings stay nice and dry easy to clean out.

Back
Top Bottom