My Cornish...4-5 weeks old...PICS

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SamG347, Jun 18, 2009.

1. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Songster

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:I, personally, cannot bring myself to butcher these guys. I bought them thinking they were WL pullets, so planned on having them for a long time to come, and have gotten very attached to them as a result. I'm not sure how they are as meat birds, so you may be better off to take them to auction and buy more Cornish X, but that's just IMHO [​IMG]

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Songster

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:It depends, how many hens and how many roos. How old are they? If they are hens and close to laying age, sell them off as laying hens or started pullets and then buy meat birds. BUT if you have roos, just raise them and eat them anyway! They will still taste good! I'm going to butcher a couple of culled cuckoo marans cockerels today, they found their voice this week and their hormones are kicking in. Tried to sell them off, but nobody wanted to pay the right price, so I'm going to enjoy them myself. [​IMG]

I think when it comes down to a situation like that, try to sell them first for what YOU think they are worth. If nobody buys them, eat them.

For me, I don't even sell my extra roosters for less than $10, simply because any price less than that isn't worth it and I would rather just butcher and eat them than sell them discounted or lower than what I think they are worth, does that make sense?

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: