My coup, run, and chickens have northern mites help!

jnrobison

Hatching
Feb 18, 2015
What can I do to get rid of these buggers I have wood ash and sand baths, sprayed all nooks and crannies with garlic oil and vinegar and for a month now and I still have infestation. What can I do???

Those may be great for prevention, but at this point you need to get more serious. If you are trying to go organic you need to get D.E. (diotamaceous earth) and start putting it all over. I would recommend wearing a dust mask as it is fine to eat, but isn't good for your lungs. Put it in the dust bath, and at this point dust your birds with it. If you are not worried about being organic go to your feed store and buy what they recommend.

I have always used DE as a preventative and have luckily never had mites yet. Good luck.

Last edited:
frow.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

if you have any questions, feel free to Pm me!!
smile.png

Glad you Joined the Flock!

D.gif
-Turkenstein25
D.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

You may want to get either Poultry Dust or Sevin Dust. Either of these should quickly take care of the mite infestation. Alternatively, you can apply a tiny amount of Frontline spray right beneath each bird's vent. You could try Diatamaceous Earth if you don't want to use a chemical, but I haven't had any success with it. Infestations usually call for stronger measures.

Welcome to the flock. DE has never done anything useful in my experience. Sometimes you have to use the real stuff - as others have advised.

Thank you everybody for your help laid out a bunch of DE and poltury dust all over my birds and coup and run. Now if I could get rid of the stupid pigeons and doves that infest my chicken area that would be a plus. Any suggestions how to get rid of them? Apparently it is illegal to shoot then I have 2 big trees that I have no control over near my property that they hang out in. Help please:)

Back
Top Bottom