My cousins transplant...HELP!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by maplesky7, Oct 27, 2009.

1. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    ****Mom just came a little bit ago and said something bad had happened and to check the caring bridge for the update and that his heart had stopped and now he has kidney failure. If you could find it in your hearts to lift Scott Othoson up in prayer this night and the days forward, it would be so appreciated. I believe God hears our prayers and yet I know it is all in God's hands... I know he knows my heart is to have my big cous around much longer. Thank you my dear friends.

Love in Christ,
    Gretchen

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/scottothoson/journal

Hi,
    Just got a call from one of my sisters about our cousin, Scott, in MD. He suffers from Crohn's and has just had an intestine transplant. He will be in ICU for a week and the transplant ward for a month. The surgery was yesterday and they put him in a coma but will wake him later today and the surgery went well and the donor was a really good one, I was told.

I am thankful because he was so ill we didn't think he was going to make it until last July and he had an infected knee replacement (they had to go in and undo what they did because of a staph infection) and they couldn't do the surgery until all of that was better.

He's in his middle 40's and was just recently married for the first time a couple of years back and his wife is a very caring and loving person. I pray they have many more happy years together and he can eat real food once again and not have to do the feeding tube for his nutrients. I know he misses just the taste of food, since his bowls were so shortened from previous surgeries, he couldn't just eat what he wanted, he had to have what would maintain his life. I couldn't even imagine.

And Father God, I know You know Your child, Scott and You know his faith rests within You and as his little cousin and sister in Christ, I thank you for this man and role model in my life. May the days ahead speak of Your ever loving presence in His life and love and healing. Glory be to You, Our Father in Heaven, In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

humbly spoken,
    Gretchen

**page #2 Scott's on a respirator and back in SICU now because of a reaction with the anesthesia where he vomited and breathed it in his lungs while they were performing an endoscopy but the good news is his colon transplant looks good.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WOW! He and his family are in my prayers. Poor guy! I can't imagine not being able to eat real food.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    [​IMG] You and your family are in my prayers.

4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Prayers for a speedy recovery for Scott, and many wonderful years with his dear wife!

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I can't help but think of the person who's organ that is... prayers are overwhelming for their family as well.

Thanks all,
    gretch
    '

p.s. It came from Mass.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Mapes... prayers being said in honour of the donor and his/her family...a true sacrifice....

Prayers being said for your family member that he makes a swift and complete recovery......

Prayers being said for you ... for being so caring.....

Massive hugs coming to you all from me....... [​IMG] ... as always...

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Hi everyone,
    I got an email from my cousin, Elizabeth, Scott's sister....

Here is a website that Angela's (Scott's wife)daughter set-up. It will have daily updates.
    Scott is doing great! Thanks to all that are thinking about him. Elizabeth

Hi again,

For those I haven't had a chance to check-in with wanted to make sure
    everyone got the update-with all good news!! Scott's surgery went as well as
    possible (SO awesome!!) and he was woken up and taken off the ventilator
    this morning with no issues, thank the Lord!! Your (answered) prayers no
    doubt have seriously helped get him through so far...thank you!! To try to
    help keep people informed and especially to help keep Scott covered in
    prayer as much as possible I started a quick caring bridge website for him
    that I can update from the student center here at gtown. I'm on my bberry so
    hopefully this is correct [​IMG]. but the address is
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/scottothoson if you'd like to visit...I'm wkng on
    getting this out to my mom and Scott's friends, family and church today,
    hopefully, too. Please feel free to pass onto anyone else you think might be
    willing to pray for him, too...that'd be wonderful!!

I just got to go in and see him and tell him I love him and he's conscious
    and alert. I left my mom in there with him. A big prayer request for the
    next step is his pain...I've never seen so much pain in someone's face and
    we are just asking and trusting God to take care of him after the trauma his
    body has been through. The docs keep telling us they're blown away by him
    though and he may even be downgraded from the SICU earlier than they
    anticipated he should be. They didn't know what an amazing fighting spirit
    Scott has...and more importantly...how awesome God is!!

Thank you for praying and for all your wonderful encouragement!!

***Thank you all for any prayers made for my cousin's healing process.

Regards,
    gretch

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Maple, I hate your sig line. And I'm glad to hear things are going better after the surgery.

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    you looooooove my sig line and thank you.

big hugs,
    g

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats wonderful news that hes doing so much better! Keeping him in my prayers that everything keeps improving, day to day. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by