My Cozy "Cochin Cottage" Chicken Coop

WOW very nice.
bow.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I love the coop and the windows. Do they open? I like the fencing also. Are they 1/2 round timbers? if they are round how did you attach them. It's a great look. Great job!

It has been a while since I checked this thread, sorry for missing some questions! The grass did not last long and my early efforts to reseed and grow more were laughable. The chickens appreciated the seeds though! Everything else except the netting over the top has lasted beautifully the 7 or so years it has been up. You can see I added some treated 2x2's to staple the netting to over the top. It lasts maybe two winters this way. If the netting is droopy, the snow/ice weighs it down and rips it very quickly. Here are more photos from this past fall and winter.

Last edited:
Could you tell us a little bit more about the fencing?

Ex: How deep it goes under ground, how tall it is, haw far apart the stays are. ect

Thanks!

If there was one thing I had to do over again, it would be the fencing.

Currently, the fence is set up like this:

Made of 8' treated landscaping timbers from Menards
Posts set with one bag of quick cement, 2 feet under ground, 6 feet above ground
Fence buried about 1 foot
Fence material single layer chicken wire, double layer bottom two feet
Posts set 8 feet apart

If I had to do it over:
Made of 4x4 10' treated posts
Posts set 2 feet under ground, 8' above
Fence material galvanized 1/2" hardware cloth single layer
Posts set 8 feet apart

If I ever made a new run, I would make it completely predator proof with hardware cloth or chicken wire over the top, so I would not have to worry about shutting the door at night, or being away on vacation.

Back
Top Bottom