My crazy chickens!

vclark321

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Bonney Lake
The girls were out free ranging in the yard this morning and I was having my first cup of coffee. I throw shelled peanuts out for bluejays. This morning the girls were not up to having the extra company! They would chase after the bluejays from across the yard! Raja would come at a dead run with her neck streched out and run off the bluejays and squirrels! The bluejays had quite a time getting their breakfast this morning! My chickens also run after small birds and anything else that catches their eyes. They make me laugh and I just love them!

Mine will chase off small birds, too. Charlie, a bantam buff Brahma (one of several roosters in my flock), absolutely hates blue jays. I fed a yard cat outside on a raised platform and the jays found the food. It became a game: a jay would fly to the platform, grab one cat kibble, then jump to the ground with it. Charlie would head for it at a dead run, hackles raised, screaming. The jay would fly 15 or 20 feet, land again, and wait for Charlie. There would be these zig-zaggy confrontations all over the property until the jay would finally fly off with its prize.

A different jay would just make one jump before flying away. I know it was a game for the blue jay, but to Charlie, it was serious business. How dare that jay steal cat food!

That sounds like a funny sight to see. My girls don't care much about the wild birds. They don't even seem to notice them, not even when they land on their food trough.

Back
Top Bottom