My Crested White Duck is sick (please help)

Nov 5, 2019
Yesterday Morning my wife noticed one of our crested white ducks closing her eyes a bit and this morning she didnt want to come out of the coop with the rest. I isolated her right away now at 4:00pm she just wants to sleep. She appears to have taken water today at some point But she’s refusing all food. Actually this morning she made a pretense of mouthing a bit of meal worm but didn’t eat. She’s 3 mos old and usually eats fermented flock raiser and snacks on meal worms with gusto. She also eats plenty of garden greens but is no longer on pasture since hawks got her flock mate last week. I don’t think she has a blockage in her gullet or impacted crop but two of my fears are: 1) shes been poisoned by either a pickerel frog or a mouse that’s eaten poison from a neighbor or 2) I realized I haven’t supplemented their brewers yeast in 6 weeks or so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of her sitting in the coop door but not going down with the rest.
8829DDEB-B955-4FAD-945E-B5220B80AB39.jpeg
and here she is In better days
38412424-02C9-4BF7-A0AC-E6AFFA006D41.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess I’ll update for my own records and in case anyone is ever in a similar situation it may help a little duck some day. Update is: opened the coop this morning and they all came out except her, when I went around to the person door I discovered her taking her sweet time but just starting down the ramp. She came out still a bit sleepy and took water and looked at the food but didn’t eat. Later I’ll bring a high value treat to her I think she’ll eat we will see. No other symptoms or clues as to the cause but I’ll try to get some brewers yeast in her as soon as she’ll eat.
also here’s a pic of a bright green poop she made fri 8-28 at 3:30pm That has me worried

Attachments

• C5DED9AC-1E30-4B54-A6E5-380C2233507E.jpeg
    C5DED9AC-1E30-4B54-A6E5-380C2233507E.jpeg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Seems stronger today but wobbly, appetite is good. Continuing with the acv & brewers yeast. I’m a bit surprised no ones ever seen anything like this before, please feel free to share any information would be greatly appreciated this is my first season with chickens and ducks.

Well...

People say that crested ducks are prone to being sick more than other ducks, and for premature death. They site this based on them being pre-disposed to having seizures.

And people and animals that have seizures do tend to look sleepy and slow.

It may be that you are going through this, but also I can't for sure say that I've gone through this. I didn't really go for having crested ducks, after reading about this problem that they have. (The research and reading on this didn't say if it was night seizures or if they'd have them openly during the day, at least that I saw.)

But that's what people have said about them, and its starting to look like it may be pretty common.

And this is also why sometimes when people breed ducks they will leave the crested ducks out of the genetic pool. (I'm not saying you have to do that. And some people really like these 'affro' ducks.

I wonder if Colon Kapernick likes crested ducks? He kind of looks like a 'crested' human. And maybe if he has this seizure problem it may explain some of his acting out behavior.

Back
Top Bottom