My Crop Tube Feeding Journey With My Bird (Pics For Visuals- VERY detailed Post)

Pics

Casportony, thank you so much for your help!! I went ahead and administered the Baytril, and even figured out the dosage based on your formula!!

But, I still don't know if I should stop the Neomycin or not. Also, when should I worm the chicks??

Sorry to be such a pest. But I really need to see that all this $ and hard work will pay off by saving these girls.

Thanks so much!

Sandi

Hood morning, Kathy.

Me again.

Update.

The worst of the 3 hens, I believe, may be at death's door. She's laying in "that" position. Partially on side, with one leg stretched out. Yesterday, I hand fed her with food and water. I brought her inside where it's warmer than she was outside under the heat lamp. She slept all day. Which made it easier for me to hand feed her. She pooped this am. See pic.

I think that I was giving them an improper dosage of the metronidazole until this am, though. I think I was giving them only half of the required dosage. My tablets are 500mg. She weighs 3.53 lbs. how much of the tablet should I be giving her EACH time I give her a dose. I know she needs it 2x per day.

Also, can I de-worm my chicks? They are 3 mos. old. If so, should I use Safeguard?

Also, my rooster started limping yesterday. I finally was able to check him out this am. No signs of injury. Should I be concerned? He's limping a little worse today than yesterday. Pulled muscle??

I'm getting so frustrated, my husband and I are starting to argue about all this. The other 2 hens aren't eating now either. I'm getting some aquarium line today, so I'll need your help with the tubing when I return from town. The feeding tubes I ordered won't be here until Monday, if I'm lucky. Both of the other hens r real fighters when it comes to giving them meds. I can't imagine being able to get a feeding tube down them. :rolleyes:

Here's the pic of Louise's poo this am.

Hood morning, Kathy.

Me again.

Update.

The worst of the 3 hens, I believe, may be at death's door. She's laying in "that" position. Partially on side, with one leg stretched out. Yesterday, I hand fed her with food and water. I brought her inside where it's warmer than she was outside under the heat lamp. She slept all day. Which made it easier for me to hand feed her. She pooped this am. See pic.

I think that I was giving them an improper dosage of the metronidazole until this am, though. I think I was giving them only half of the required dosage. My tablets are 500mg. She weighs 3.53 lbs. how much of the tablet should I be giving her EACH time I give her a dose. I know she needs it 2x per day.

Also, can I de-worm my chicks? They are 3 mos. old. If so, should I use Safeguard?

Also, my rooster started limping yesterday. I finally was able to check him out this am. No signs of injury. Should I be concerned? He's limping a little worse today than yesterday. Pulled muscle??

I'm getting so frustrated, my husband and I are starting to argue about all this. The other 2 hens aren't eating now either. I'm getting some aquarium line today, so I'll need your help with the tubing when I return from town. The feeding tubes I ordered won't be here until Monday, if I'm lucky. Both of the other hens r real fighters when it comes to giving them meds. I can't imagine being able to get a feeding tube down them. :rolleyes:

A righteous man regarded the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10

Hood morning, Kathy.

Me again.

Update.

A righteous man regarded the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10

At 3.53 pounds she should get 80mg twice a day, but that's hard to do with a 500mg tablet, so shoot for 1/4 pill (125mg) twice a day. That more than she needs, but it won't hurt her.

-Kathy

And you can use Safeguard on your chicks. Best dose would be 0.23ml per pound by mouth five days in a row.

-Kathy

From: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
FLUID THERAPY
Oral Administration
Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids. This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC) or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl) that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid therapy.

Subcutaneous Administration
Subcutaneous fluid therapy is probably the most common
method of administration, although administration in very critical patients must be done judiciously. With experience, warm fluids can be given over the dorsum in very depressed birds without restraint or altering of the bird’s position within its incubator. Studies have shown that adding hyaluronidase to fluids (150 IU/L fluids) greatly facilitates the absorption of these fluids. Subcutaneous fluids are most commonly given in the intrascapular area, the flank, and the area over the pectoral muscles or the axilla. Maintaining fluids on a heating pad or in an incubator, so they are available at the correct temperature for emergencies, is important. Warm fluids are both an adjuvant treatment for hypothermia and less painful on administration. However, as in mammals, a severely debilitated or dehydrated bird will not absorb SC fluids.

The link also says this in bold "A sick or debilitated bird should always have its hydration corrected prior to attempting to initiate oral gavage-feeding."

This link also has good info on fluid therapy, everyone reading this thread should read it:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/15.pdf

Tube feeding baby bird food to a dehydrated or hypothermic bird can kill it! Same applies to mammals.

WOW! What an awesome piece!! Just a question about the Sevin Dust treatment- Is there a certain way you
dust chickens? Are there any risks to the bird if they injest any of it when they groom?
Thanks Much and You Go!!
Birdy

Back
Top Bottom