My Cull Wood Coop

Their Other Mother

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Arizona
I started collecting cull wood from Home Depot the end of last summer. For $25.00 I loaded the bed of my pick-up with all dimentions of wood, none of them much longer than 4 feet.
9782_3b6eba7758e6.jpg

I built this almost completely by myself with a little assistance from my dad to help set the trusses and my 12 year old son to help set the tile. I hesitate to include plans because this is the biggest Mickey Mouse production I've ever encountered! I did break down and bought 3, 2 X 4 X 10's and 2, 4 X 8 sheets of plywood. The rest is piece work. Dimentions are 8' x 8' with the peak at 7' and side walls at 4' but they are up on skids so that puts them up at 4'8" from ground level. The tile was left over from our house and instead of using roofing board, I just did it the old mexican style - laying 1 x 4 runners across the trusses every 12 inches and then just laying the tile on them. I bought "oops paint" at Home Depot; $15.00 for 5 gallons of exterior in a tan color that just happened to match our house (that made my Husband really happy) and $5.00 for a gallon of chocolate brown for the trim.
9782_dscn0115.jpg
This is the back side. I've planted a yellow with orange tipped climbing rose on the trellis and used 1/4 inch welded wire for the windows.
9782_dscn0114.jpg
My Leghorn Roo is doing his weather vane impression.
9782_dscn0113.jpg
The front view. The inside is not done yet - it needs painted and I want nice nest boxes mounted to the walls. My hens should start to lay in the next few weeks so I need to hop to it. I still want to put more trim on to hide all the joints and add some custom painting too along with a fenced & covered run. Any ideas on what to name it?

So far the coyotes have not been able to get at my birds but every morning they come up, circle around and leave. I'll add more pics as I get them. I haven't had alot of time to work on this.

Last edited:
That's AWESOME! Great job! Did you take pics during construction? This would make a great article for Mother Earth News. You are a trash to treasure Guru!!!

Gotta love getting good deals on building materials. Nice job. I laughed when I saw the cactus. I lived in Tucson for many years. Funny how everything there is either trying to bite, sting, poke or crawl on you. I always love the jumping cholla cactus. Stupid things are of the devil.

Very nice coop. Looks like you had a suicide jumper. I hope everything came out ok.
big_smile.png

jeremy

Quote:
Thanks! Believe me, Paint makes the world of difference! I did take some pictures but I have to find the chip they are on. This has been my relaxation therapy. I also built a goat milking stantion and another thing I don't know what to call. It's sort of like a wishing well but it really is to pull up water from an uncased well on our property. I'm also trying to build a Chuck Wagon. I still have tons of wood left over. Most of it is warped so it's being used as fire wood but I still have lots of plans for planters, yard decorations and garden projects.

Quote:
I love the Desert but hate the summer heat! You can't beat the 80 degree weather we've had the last few weeks. We have over 100 saguaros on our 6 + acres plus ocotillos, barrels, prickley pear and tons of those blasted cholla. We have to burn them to get rid of them!

Great job! You've made a really nice coop, and used salvage, it doesn't get any better than that!
thumbsup.gif

LOVE the weathervane on top, it looks almost real!
wink.png

YOU, MY FRIEND ARE VERY TALENTED! I have to say that I am a bit jealous. I really need to buckle down and learn the art of building things. You have inspired me!

Back
Top Bottom