My Current Candling Device

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I use this projector turned so the beam points upward and place a washcloth with a small hole cut into it over the beam to concentrate it and to cushion the egg. Works like a charm. I had an even older one, but the bulb burned out. DH was an art student and had several projectors in the bsmt, but I bet lots of people have them in their attics or bsmts.
DCP_8904.jpg

DCP_8905.jpg

smile.png
I'm just s-o-l again, I don't have either.

If I ever see a projector, I'll nab it.

I get a thrill when I see veins and a heart beating for the first time.
And a greater thrill at Day 17, when I can see that egg full of chick give that last wiggle that is moving it toward hatching position.
(and I'm guilty of just candling an egg to watch it squirm around).
For the most part, I don't NEED to candle --- I just enjoy doing it.
Sometimes, when I have a very active embryo on the candler, I call Hubby to come and see. He is unimpressed and says you showed me last week and the week before and isn't it more of the same? Genuinely unimpressed.
I can't imagine not being moved by seeing life in an egg shell (you all understand).
It's just another ordinary miracle today.
Lisa

I'm guilty of the same thing, Lisa!
wink.png
It is completely awe-inspiring how the chick forms inside and then how the heck it does the contortions to get itself out... just a miracle. I do get a thrill out of candling and this projector makes that even better. Gee, I think the bulbs are something like 300 watts, so you can imagine how much detail you can see. Keep an eye out for one!

When I helped with a class room hatching project acouple years ago now, the teacher decided to use her film projector so we could candle the eggs...amazing how well it works, every tiny little vein could be seen at 7 days and that was brown eggs!...

Out of curiosity.. how hot does that thing get?

My mother gave me a SUPER bright LED lamp.. eye burning if I look directly at it, but wow it heats up. I had a rolled sock on it while candling, and in just a few minutes the sock started to smoke!

Meghan

It gets hot, but there is a fan blowing the entire time and it has an in-between setting on the switch that turns off the bulb, but keeps the fan running to cool down the bulb before you just suddenly switch it off. So, yes, it does get hot, but there is an "exhaust fan" blowing so most of the really intensely hot air comes out holes in the back away from the lens.

Back
Top Bottom