My dachshund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms. Waibel zoo, I think you are a compassionate hard working mother and I sympathise that everything cannot be controlled because there are kids! I also think it is right to keep your dachsie and just try to separate her from temptation. Dogs do have impulse control issues even when they know they are doing the wrong thing. I think dogs have plenty of 'cognitive ability' and science is just now starting to view animals in a different light.

I am educated as a geologist and turned dog trainer after being laid off. Even before the lay-off I trained part time. I have been training dogs professionally for about 20 years and have also attended seminars ad infinitum yada yada yada. I have trained dogs for field and schutzhund. I also have lots and lots of titles in obedience, tracking, flyball and agility.

I have a dog who is uncontrollably aggressive around other animals (I am not implying your dog is like this). She is VERY good with humans and is our bed dog and valued companion. She cannot be around any other dog in the house and she would happily kill my chickens and other dogs and anything alse she can get her teeth on, except people. She is now 12 and is the last dog in her litter still alive because the rest were put down for uncontrollable aggression. I value my pets enormously and would not put her down unless she attacked a human, which has never been an issue. So she lives a separate life in our house away from all other animals.

She has agility and tracking titles because those are one-dog-out-at-a-time sports. She needed a job and mental activity and exercise and it was minimally risky because I taught he an absolutely rock hard recall using an ELECTRIC COLLAR HARSHLY.
I figured it was the better alternative than putting her down.

Field, retriever and schutzhund training use electric collars as a matter of course. Sometimes harshly, sometimes not. You can't across the board condemn the use of an electric collar if you have never had the occasion to really need one. If you happen to be an animal control officer you are probably dealing with a lot of dogs who are turned in or exhibited behavior (like biting) that turned into an issue because an electric collar was not used. Not everything is sweetness and light and clicker training. Try to live in the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
hugs.gif
I'm sorry for your losses

I have a doxie as well and I have to watch him like a hawk, not just around small animals (chickens included) but people as well. He recently nipped a girl scout dropping off cookies so I had to get him microchipped and he's been deemed a "potentially dangerous dog" with the county sheriff. It's just so bazaar how quickly his demeanor changes. He's super sweet with us and my toddler but anyone that comes to the door, look out! He's extremely protective. He's chased after the chickens a couple times and I've managed to catch him before he catches a chicken. However he does a heck of a job digging in the gofer holes. I've done about all the training techniques I could find online to try to break him of these things and nothing has really worked. They definitely have a natural hunter instinct.
idunno.gif

I would like to know how things are going and how any training or diversion methods work out. We can all learn from these things. I hope all is well with your family and pets. Let's keep the thread on track.

The other baby chins are so stinkin cute. We did have to barracade the outside of the cage to keep them in. My daughter has all but forgotten (kids are funny that way). We burried the baby Sunday under some dwarf purple azalea. My daughter was happy with the burial site.

As for the dachshund, I have ordered a collar and it is on it's way. For now the hose will have to suffice. I can't keep her outside for long as well. She has been trying to dig into the tractor, even though I move it daily. She knows I am upse with her still. She follows me everywhere and lies at my feet. I still let her sleep with me at night. When we are outside and she stays away from the coop I praise her extensively.
roll.png
I just have to keep really goood track of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom