My Daughter’s little hatchery questions

farmgurlwannabe

Chirping
May 27, 2020
Hello! My 11 yr old daughter Ava has began her own business. We have chicken and chick experience- however this month is our first time hatching with incubators. I have a few questions and couldn’t seem to find the best thread. 1.) how do you keep straight of what’s what? I know what we have in some of the eggs but they all look different and Jumble together and none of the eggs stay to place where you originally had them. Few of the chicks look the same and change so quickly.
2.) we had surprise breed eggs gifted to us- no clue what these are 3.) how do you determine what to charge? We live in chester sc - have a variety of silkies, backyard breeds, Ameracaunas and olive eggers, Easter eggers and more we don’t know of that. 4.) where do you sell to & what do you do to sell the ones that don’t sell and you don’t want. How can I find out where auctions are to get rid of what doesn’t sell.

Hello! My 11 yr old daughter Ava has began her own business. We have chicken and chick experience- however this month is our first time hatching with incubators. I have a few questions and couldn’t seem to find the best thread. 1.) how do you keep straight of what’s what? I know what we have in some of the eggs but they all look different and Jumble together and none of the eggs stay to place where you originally had them. Few of the chicks look the same and change so quickly.
2.) we had surprise breed eggs gifted to us- no clue what these are 3.) how do you determine what to charge? We live in chester sc - have a variety of silkies, backyard breeds, Ameracaunas and olive eggers, Easter eggers and more we don’t know of that. 4.) where do you sell to & what do you do to sell the ones that don’t sell and you don’t want. How can I find out where auctions are to get rid of what doesn’t sell.
Label the eggs when you get them (date and breed) then watch as they hatch and place bands on them to know the breed or separate different breeds into different brooders. Hope this helps you at least a little bit. :)

-ChickenWhisperer101

You can mark the eggs so you know what they are-- non-lead pencil works well. It may be best for you to limit the number of breeds per hatch so it is easier to keep track of the chicks by some characteristic like color, feathered or clean legs, comb type, etc. What to charge depends on where you live, and demand. Check out the Craigslist Farm page for an idea of what other people are charging. You can make specific searches on that website.

People sell their birds in many different ways. Some ship eggs and/or chicks. Some sell on Craigslist. We even have a place for selling on BYC. And if you ask at farm stores, they may allow you to post something if they have a bulletin board.

For auctions, I suppose just do a google search for them in your area. Craigslist also sometimes has posts advertising local auctions.

Best of luck to both you and your daughter.

Back
Top Bottom