My daughter's owl costume in the making... (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by redwing76, Sep 28, 2010.

1. redwing76

redwing76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Every year at Halloween, I make my daughter's costumes. This year my oldest decided she wanted to be a triceratops which is out of my skill set so I begrudgingly bought one. My youngest though (she's two) is going to be an owl...Here's a pic of the beginning of her costume. I think I'm going to add a little fabric stiffener to the feathers and curl them up a bit. She will also have brown wings with pink lining that will velco to her arms and an owlish mask of some kind...and feather boa material will finish off the neckline and attach to her ankles and wrists.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Wow...what a lot of work! And so darn cute. [​IMG] Please post a picture when you have it finished too?

3. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    That is just DARLING!!! Love it.

4. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    That looks very nice!!!i can see the body of an owl there!

5. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Well that is as cute as a bug's ear!! You are very talented!!

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Wow... that is awesome! [​IMG]

I'm planning on trying to make my daughter's this year too... we'll see how that works! LOL

7. redwing76

redwing76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Well thank you! I'm just learning to sew on my own and don't really know how to use a pattern (I find them intimidating and overwhelming) so I just kind of make stuff up using the clothes my daughters already have as a template. It's usually not until after the piece is assembled that I realize I've made a few errors along the way which results in some sloppy work...like "finishing" the arm holes BEFORE sewing the front and back pieces together [​IMG] . Oh well, it's a learning process. This is why I don't make their clothes! Anyway, thanks for the nice words!

vfem: What is your daughter going to be?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    That's darling! I used to make all my kids costumes---from Godzilla to Pikachu (Pokemon) to Jar Jar Binks (from star wars). It was challenging and a lot of fun. Now that my youngest is 14, I miss it. [​IMG]

9. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Holy impressive, Batman! That looks great! Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    what a 'hoot!' [​IMG]

She'll want to wear it all the time. to school. church. out to eat, birthday parties, uncle Tim's wedding... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by