My daughter's owl costume in the making... (UPDATE)

redwing76

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Every year at Halloween, I make my daughter's costumes. This year my oldest decided she wanted to be a triceratops which is out of my skill set so I begrudgingly bought one. My youngest though (she's two) is going to be an owl...Here's a pic of the beginning of her costume. I think I'm going to add a little fabric stiffener to the feathers and curl them up a bit. She will also have brown wings with pink lining that will velco to her arms and an owlish mask of some kind...and feather boa material will finish off the neckline and attach to her ankles and wrists.

62948_1609805894863_1527693500_1550755_4482787_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well thank you! I'm just learning to sew on my own and don't really know how to use a pattern (I find them intimidating and overwhelming) so I just kind of make stuff up using the clothes my daughters already have as a template. It's usually not until after the piece is assembled that I realize I've made a few errors along the way which results in some sloppy work...like "finishing" the arm holes BEFORE sewing the front and back pieces together
roll.png
. Oh well, it's a learning process. This is why I don't make their clothes! Anyway, thanks for the nice words!

vfem: What is your daughter going to be?

Last edited:
That's darling! I used to make all my kids costumes---from Godzilla to Pikachu (Pokemon) to Jar Jar Binks (from star wars). It was challenging and a lot of fun. Now that my youngest is 14, I miss it.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom