My Dirt Chicken Run

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Karen711, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Karen711

Karen711 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Sechelt, B.C.
    Hey everyone,
    Just need a few ideas hopefully. My chicken run is dirt at one end then they can walk under the coop to the other end
    which is feed and water and I have put down rock to help keep it cleaner. The dirt end is so boring for them as far as
    foraging goes. I hang things for them to eat sometime, and throw in stuff from the garden, kale, lettuce ect, give them
    sunflower seeds to scratch around for but it's just not enough. I can't let them out in the yard as we have coyotes and
    eagles that could get them. I have a perch in there for them ( I only have 7) but just feel bad when I see them scratching
    around in the dirt and nothing is there for them :(

Any ideas greatly appreciated, Thanks [​IMG]

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Have you thought about a chicken swing? Apparently chickens really like em! (Piece of wood and two ropes) you could also try composting to make the soil in the run richer.

3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Can you give them leaf litter? They love it. Rake up a big huge pile of leaves, pine needles, bark, straw, grass clippings, etc, and let them pick around in it.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Do you use shavings in your coop? When you clean it out, dump it on the dirt area... toss some scratch into it and that'll keep them occupied for a while... and it will compost naturally into the soil...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by