My Dirt Chicken Run

Karen711

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Sechelt, B.C.
Hey everyone,
Just need a few ideas hopefully. My chicken run is dirt at one end then they can walk under the coop to the other end
which is feed and water and I have put down rock to help keep it cleaner. The dirt end is so boring for them as far as
foraging goes. I hang things for them to eat sometime, and throw in stuff from the garden, kale, lettuce ect, give them
sunflower seeds to scratch around for but it's just not enough. I can't let them out in the yard as we have coyotes and
eagles that could get them. I have a perch in there for them ( I only have 7) but just feel bad when I see them scratching
around in the dirt and nothing is there for them :(

Any ideas greatly appreciated, Thanks
thumbsup.gif

Have you thought about a chicken swing? Apparently chickens really like em! (Piece of wood and two ropes) you could also try composting to make the soil in the run richer.

Can you give them leaf litter? They love it. Rake up a big huge pile of leaves, pine needles, bark, straw, grass clippings, etc, and let them pick around in it.

Do you use shavings in your coop? When you clean it out, dump it on the dirt area... toss some scratch into it and that'll keep them occupied for a while... and it will compost naturally into the soil...

Back
Top Bottom