My dirty little secret!!

Congratulations for taking the first step to a smoke free life. I too am a previous smoker. I started at about 14 and was up to 2 1/2 packs a day. If I went out dirinking I could smoke a carton in a night! I smoked until I was 30 years old.

I tried every way to quit... slowly cutting down, so many per hour, etc. I could make it a while and then always started again. It takes an enormous amount of personal resolve and willpower to quit.

One monring I woke up and after my usual coughing spell I just decided thats it. I crushed my pack and destroyed all cigarettes left in the carton. Threw away my lighter and was done. That was 15 years ago.

The power of positive thinking is something that can overcome anything. I would go to bed every night and tell myself all the things I am grateful for in my life. One of the things would be that I quit smoking. When I woke up, the first thing I would do is remind myself of all the things I am grateful for to include quitting smoking. Picture in your mind how good you feel, how clean you smell, and how proud you are of your accomplishment. Throughout the day, every time you get the urge to have a cigarette simply tell yourself of all the things in your life you are grateful for to include the fact that you quit smoking. The more you do this the easier it will become.

I do this for everything in my life and you will be suprised at how your life begins to change. There is just to much negative energy in our society. Give it a shot!

Quote:
That is when I smoked like a freight train, too. Something about a drink and a smoke goes hand in hand.

I know some people who can smoke for a month and put them down. Or smoke today and not smoke tomorrow. Smoke for a week and not want another for a year. Even some who smoke only on vacation.
I think I must have an addictive personality or something because I am not one who could pick them up and put them down like that.

Quote:
That is when I smoked like a freight train, too. Something about a drink and a smoke goes hand in hand.

I know some people who can smoke for a month and put them down. Or smoke today and not smoke tomorrow. Smoke for a week and not want another for a year. Even some who smoke only on vacation.
I think I must have an addictive personality or something because I am not one who could pick them up and put them down like that.

I come from a family like that (addictive personalities), and I think it might be partly genetic. I can tell when I'm getting "too" into something now. My brother smoked cigs, then cigs and pot, then pot and chew, then mostly chew and now it seems after 15 years he's finally free. But he still overdoes it on other things. My mom is sort of the same way.

My dad, however, quit when I was born cold turkey from 2 packs a day. I was the off and on again smoker.

Interestingly, I look more like my dad, and my brother looks more like my mom. Maybe just a coincidence but interesting, nonetheless.

Last edited:
Well this is going better than I thought. I guess I want that hobby farm worse thanI thought. That is my reward for not smoking. I get to start on my farm. I gave that reward to myself. If I smoke no mini farm, If I quit full swing ahead. I think the first thing I am going to get with my quit jar money is the stuff to build the bread box incubator. I want to hatch out some eggs Chicken and duck. Of course I want my little Nigerian goats the most right now but that comes from DH. LOL The bator is my reward money. I think I'll start working on it this weekend. I have never felt this good when trying to quit before. I have a few real strong cravings during the day but they pass and I move on. I made 4 loavves of bread today and homemade tortillas, You can't smoke with dough on your hands LOL.

Excellent, hsm5grls, you've got the right attitude. Just keep plugging. It'll be a stressful situation that'll really get you at first, but just keep the goal in mind. And breathe. Seriously! To calm yourself, take a deep breath in through your nose. Feel the air fill your lungs, all the way up into your shoulders (you know your lungs are actually more in your back than in your belly). Then exhale fully, empty every last breath of air out of your lungs. Repeat it three or four times. It really calms your mind, and doesn't take more than a few moments.

Good idea about baking bread, but don't eat it all! :eek: Nicotine is a stimulant, depending upon how much you smoked, you need to replace burning from 300 to 900 calories a day. That's why people tend to gain weight when they quit. It really can be a 15 lb weight gain over a year! So keep moving, resist the urge to eat junky foods.....not that your bread is junky, I'll bet it's delish!
yippiechickie.gif

Okay, I really don't post much at all. I'm mostly a lurker and I get almost all of my questions answered by just looking around. But I really felt like I had to post here. First of all, let me congratulate you on your smoke-free-ness. That's awesome!!

I was a missionary for a while and we had a stop smoking program that we used with people who wanted to stop smoking. I wanted to share some things with you that we used. One of them is vitamin C. I guess that it cleans out your system faster. We recommended flooding the body with vitamin C. Drink orange juice, any juice that is vit. C enriched, and take a vit. C supplement. Seriously, flood your body. It cleans it all out. Once the nicotine is gone from your system, you don't have to deal with the cravings and the addiction to nicotine so much, and can deal with the habit and what you associate with cigarettes. Does that even make sense? Also, get a good mouthwash. The stronger the better. Cinnamon is good. When you get a craving, use the mouthwash. A lot of times, it's the feeling in your mouth that triggers your mind to want a cigarette and if you can get rid of that feeling, the craving wont be as strong. Also, when you get a craving, do something you don't usually do at that time. Go for a walk, play with kids (chickens work, too), etc. Sometimes, its just you associate smoking with whatever you're doing and your hands aren't busy. Also, your body wants to smoke when you're bored. Some people eat when they are bored (me), smokers tend to want to smoke when they can't think of anything else to do. So, when the urge hits, get up and move. Hope these help. Keep up the good work.

Kell

Last edited:
Thank you I can feel my body cleaning itself out already. I have a deep cough and I can already breath better. I have so much energy and have been keeping myself busy with odd jobs around the house that I have been wanting to get done for awhile. I have been really perky. I thought I would be all depressed but I am actually in a great mood. My DS says it is because I am finally getting h2o to my brain LOL. I honestly think that posting here made it real to me and made me accountable. I really think I would be smoking still. The encouragement and ideas have been a driving force. It really helps when people are telling you that you can do it. ANd by the grace of God. Also telling myself and others that I am a non-smoker. It just feels good to say it. I really want to thank everyone who has posted it has been a god send.
DAY 3= Still not smoking
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Day three was the hardest, each and every time I quit.
wink.png
Stay strong, and you will make it through. It will be worth it, and a big accomplishment!
yippiechickie.gif

DAY 4-
Well DH is home today so this will be the hard day I think. I am hangin in there taking lots of vitamin c and drinking tea.

Back
Top Bottom