My docile roo has gone off the deep end! Updated, making progress!!

Boot him hard or have them yell and scream at him flapping the arms like he would do with his wings make. They need to show them that they are the boss and will not take his garbage.
If he still can not get it in his head they they are the boss it is time for the stew pot. There are way to many other nice roo to put up with this.

Gosh, I wish I could find the post...someone on here uses this approach in EXTREME cases, which it sure sounds like yours is.

He removed the roo to a small dog kennel, and puts it in a place that is dark and without outside contact from humans or other critters for 24 hours. COMPLETELY dark, and he's alone. This person does not feed or water for 24 hours (which I personally find leaning toward inhumane, but if the option is to cull a perfectly healthy rooster, I guess it's an option to try). After the 24 hours, give food and water...have your DD or wife do this, so the roo understand that his sustenance comes from them. I BELIEVE the roos is still in the dark at htis point. After several days (sorry, I don't recall how many), move him to a larger kennel or crate or whatever, and move him to the light, but still no contact with others. Several more days...then, add a hen into the crate for him. Again, you're showing him that YOU are in control (or DD or DW). After several more days, try allowing him out for a short time, then catch and return him to the crate. Return him to the crate in a short time, assuming he'll be so happy to be out, the last thing on his mind will be flogging a human. THen put him right back in the crate BEFORE he thinks in that direction. Slowly SLOWLY prolong the time you allow him out.

I've never done this, but it supposedly works on the most wicked roos. I wish you the very best. Please, please be careful NOT to kick your roo. I did this once in a self-defending way when I was being literally attacked by my first roo, and I broke his bottom beak off. I'm ashamed to admit that, but if it makes someone else think twice about kicking a roo, my embarrassment is worth it.

Thanks for al the advice. Here's some more weirdness......

Tonight, the problem roo somewhat attacked his number one gal. He grabbed her comb and wouldn't let go. Also, he tried to mount a polish hen today who he has never shown any interest in. She is a banty size and he is a Buff Orp. Get the picture? She got away from him, though.

I am beginning to believe fighting back with him is useless. I think it is making him worse. He is unrelenting. I truly believe he would keep fighting till death. So, if you can make any rational thinking from his actions, I would guess he sees the humans as threats and not alpha roos. He would eventually concede if it was a pecking order, right? He will stop flogging until you take a step away, then right back at you again.

I am going to take the advice of removing him from his heirarchy for a few days. I was thinking of solitary and then have DD and DW begin to provide his food and water.

If this doesn't show some improvement, I'm going to see if he tastes like chicken....

Really appreciate all the help, folks. I want to get back to the JOYS of chickens in my back yard.

Would getting another roo would help? If he doesn't have to protect then alone maybe he will calm done a bit. ONe thing that works with my roos is if they give me that look i would take a step towards them and clap my hands saying no very loudly. They just freeze then relax and walk away. It gives them a distraction and makes them rethink what there gonna do. Plus it puts them below me on the pecking order. I also spoil them but with boundaries. I love it when people come over and say wow you have the nicest chickens ever.

Sadly, you may not be able to re-train him. Some are just more intelligent than others and those may be "renovated", however, I believe kicking a rooster probably wont work as a permanent solution. He will just be more cautious in the ways he attacks.

Out of all my roos onlyone has show agression out side, he is in a cage now permanatly. The other lives in a dog crate and is super agressive. I keep telling my self he is only protecting his hens but man he has pushed it with me. Some you can not get them back to docile.

ML

Again, I'm so sorry you're having this trouble. I'm glad you're going to try to work it out still...maybe go at it with the attitude that this is his last chance, and resign yourself to removing him permanently from the flock if he doens't acquiesce (sp?)

I had a really naughty roo once, and so I know what you mean about wanting to get back to the happy part of chicken ownership. I'd come in the house with blood running down my legs from this roo. Looking back, I know things would have been different if I'd raised him differently, but I didn't know then. Sigh. For what it's worth, I was able to rehome him - I was completely honest with the woman who took him. She had a large freeranging flock, and I've checked in with her numerous times since I gave him away 2 yrs. ago - she has never had an issue with him, and she loves him dearly.

Wow, thanks for all the help.

I do have a second roo (polish) that doesn't interact with the group at all. He stays close by his polish girl and they both stay in the coop most of the time.

I have 4 little roos who will be coming into their teens in the next two months so if this one doesn't settle back down to his loveable old self, I will harvest him and let one of the other roos take over.

You guys are the greatest. Folks who really understand how troubling a problem like this can be.

Last edited:
Sounds to me it is dinner time period, finish the story, heck I killed so many roosters the past 8 months, I decided sunday I will kill my last one and no more roosters, I am done with them.

Back
Top Bottom