My dog attacked my chicken!!

Thanks, yes the Roo is dead they took him to the neighbors and ate him, I saw the remains of his feathers there. I wasn't able to speak to the owner of the dogs because he wasn't at home. He's the deputy sheriff here. I filed a complaint and claim against him. I tore down the coop yesterday. My husband and friends are in the midst of designing a better coop and run for my chicken. Emery is drinking plenty of water and is eating. I was scared to give her anything without advise, but I will get some aspirin and clean the wound again today. I have 4 Silkie
chicks(2wks old) and was trying to introduce them to her, but she's not having it. I have few acres of land, and most of the day the hens free range with no problem, these dogs only attack them when they are in the coop area.

I am so very sorry for you and your birds,this is heartbreaking and you only had your rooster for a day. Watch this dog b/c he will return,he is killing for fun. Glad that you filed a claim against this deputy,he of all people should know better.

Use 1/4" hardware cloth for your coop/run.

@H E R I am so very sorry for the loss of your chickens. :hugs That is just heartbreaking. :hit I was an emotional wreck the last few days just at the thought of losing one. I can't imagine losing that many in such a short period of time.

On a good note, Sunni ate some celery and grapes on her own this morning! She also put up quite the fight when we tube fed her her breakfast this morning. She has always hated being tube fed, even when she was little, but I don't feel comfortable syringe feeding her right now. I don't want to risk her aspirating.

The fact that she is interested in eating, and swirling her beak in her favorite water dish just thrills me. I can't believe how much of a fighter she is. Three days ago I thought she was going to die in my arms, now she is doing so well.

On a good note, Sunni ate some celery and grapes on her own this morning! She also put up quite the fight when we tube fed her her breakfast this morning. She has always hated being tube fed, even when she was little, but I don't feel comfortable syringe feeding her right now. I don't want to risk her aspirating.

The fact that she is interested in eating, and swirling her beak in her favorite water dish just thrills me. I can't believe how much of a fighter she is. Three days ago I thought she was going to die in my arms, now she is doing so well.

Definitely a special chicken. Fighting is so good.
D.gif

An update on Sunni to kind of lift the mood a bit. She is doing well, but she is still so tired. She just woke up from a long nap. She was so deeply asleep that she didn't even hear my large cat knock over a box about 5 ft away from her.

Now she's sitting on my lap under a blanket looking around at things. She tried to eat and drink on her own earlier, but she doesn't have good coordination with just the one eye. She still hasn't gained her eyesight back in the one eye. I noticed that the bruising from the small puncture wound in her head traveled down to just above her eye, so that may have something to do with why she can't see out of it. It's hard to know for sure.

I think the worst of what she went through yesterday was because of the shock. Now she is slowly recovering from it. I have a strong feeling that she's going to survive this. She is such a fighter. This little lady doesn't go down without a fight. And she's loving all of the cozy snuggles she is getting the last two days.
wink.png

It is good to know Sunni is getting the proper care and attention .....
And thank you for the update on her recovery ......

gander007
old.gif

I took some pictures of Madame Sunni just now. She is back to cruising around the house (with extreme supervision now). We still tube fed her this morning, but she is starting to get her aim back and managed to eat just a few pellets last night and this morning. She jumped up onto her roost at bedtime by herself, and jumped down this morning without any stumbling or dizziness. Every day I am seeing more improvements from her. She was even scratching and pecking through her shavings in her coop this morning. Today is day 4 since the incident with our dog.

She has a few scuffs along the right side of her beak, and a small scratch just above her left waddle. I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but she has a bruise just behind her eye on the left side that spreads down to her ear. The bruise is from the small puncture wound that she has on the top of her head. You can't really see it unless you lift up her feathers, but the bruise is dark greenish blue and spreads over most of the top of her head.
sad.png
Earlier our dog jumped down from the couch and she growled and hissed at him, so she's definitely scared of him. I want be letting him anywhere near her, or her anywhere near him anymore. I can tell by the way our dog looks at her that he's sorry, but I don't trust him.
hmm.png

(right side)

(left side)

(you can kind of see the bruise in this photo)

So very glad to see Sunni looking better, makes my heart sing!

And to H E R - so very sorry for your loss, similar thing happened to me in the past - loose neighbour's dog killed my beautiful rooster after managing to pull part of the fence down. Even though the fence is replaced and strengthened, he still turns up occasionally.....I think I am going to invest in a strip of electric fence to give him (and every other predator) a jolt so they think twice in future....

Such a fight and struggle to keep them all safe.......

Back
Top Bottom