my dog attacked my chickens

I have three lady dogs, one 7 yr. Golden Retriever, a 14 yr. Border Collie/Lab Cross, and a 19 yr. Corgi/Feist mix all rescued. They let the chickens eat from their bowls. They are in charge of security patrol of the chicken run.
When I first got my Golden, she went after a duck that I had and injured her. I immediately, switched her with a small apple branch, (I didn't hurt her) and put her to bed without dinner. I didn't abuse her mind you, but I let her know by my actions an voice, that the behaviour was unacceptable. I had an opportunity to train my border collie mix when she found a baby bird she brought it to me, It was OK, and I really praised her a lot. She was just a natural. The Corgi mix is sooo old
old.gif
and she and one of my Silver Seabrights are buddies,
old.gif
yippiechickie.gif
They hang together. When I bring new animals into the farm I introduce them to the dogs and none of my dogs will harm a baby bunny, bird or anything living. I also took the time to give treats to my dogs when they are good. It takes some work, but I think you can train your dog to be a friend to chickens too. I can actually put all of my dogs in the lot with the chicks. I also think that the age, breed and sex of a dog has a lot to do with whether or not they can be trained not to hurt other animals.
Good luck, and don't give up on ol' Rover. My Golden is the love of my life now.
Bunny
bun.gif

My cocker spaniel killed one of my girls. I think it was overenthusiastic play more than deliberate murder, but nonetheless it resulted in Lucy's death.
sad.png

I was gutted by the experience.
It has taken a long time of constant supervision, constant correcting, constant everything.
But we can now have the girls and the dog in the yard at the same time.
big_smile.png

BUT I will NOT trust my dog, even now.
hmm.png
It is still constant supervision.
Good luck.

Constant is the key...... I have an 11 year old bichon who just started with the chicken killing. I also have a 1 year old blue tick who we thought was the problem.....turns out it was the cute fuzzy old lady dog. She was only messing with them as babies though. Now that they are full size she leaves them alone. LOTS of calm submissive while the kids and I put babies on her. She had to lay still and let the babies get in front of her on top of her and if she moved she got STERN correction. Shes better but I don't leave my babies out unattended either. Good Luck.....

Quote:
not true... we had dogs killing chickens before.. and we train all of them out of it... time, consistency and common sense plays a big part in your success... All our dogs run with all the other animals here, eat raw diet, and chase and kill whatever predator decides to visit.

I put a child bathing suit on my dog and made him wear a dead duck... He was humiliated... I beat him with the dead duck... I carefully trained him and kept a watchful eye on him after that... I will also NEVER trust him.... He is a GOOD dog... but he was bred to hunt... and hunt he will... We got on for a good 4 years before he killed one of my D'Uccles.... (after dead duck episode).... He is good about them and he averts his gaze in their presence.... but I would never leave him to guard them... Nope never.

One stormy afternoon a year and a half ago while I was taking a nap( who doesnt love a nap during a good lightening storm?) My hubby comes running into the bedroom looking sick and panicked...he left the gate open and during the storm our dog Jenny got out and killed all but the rooster
rant.gif
I jumped up and ran out there ( with my nightgown on and my fuzzy slippers) and sure enough they were dead....
somad.gif
I only had my slippers to spank her with so I chased her around the yard with a slipper....this must have really freaked her out , me running around with my hair sticking up, my nightgown on and a big fuzzy slipper because she wont even look their direction anymore
thumbsup.gif
mind you I never made contact as she is much faster than I and I slipped in the mud everytime I had to make a sharp turn.....wasnt pretty but she wont even look in their direction now. Just the other day I made her come from coop to coop with me to feed and she did her very best to pretend like she only saw me
wink.png
I did have a friend who raised all types of birds for a living and he swears that a goose will break a dog of chicken killing ( he had two rotts) and they stayed far away from the goose and the chickens ....Good luck whatever you decide

I have a pit and a boxer who will not touch my chickens and only run the guineas when they get in the dogs food or pester the crap out of them. But they were raised around my RIR's and now with the silkies They see them in the house and I started allowing them to be around them, smell them and look at them if they got too close or too excited I would just say back off (which is one of the first commands I taught them) but if they were being good and just observing I handed out treats. Now they are great with the chickens and the guineas sometimes roost on the dogs very big kennel and I assume drive the dogs nuts with all the buck weating, (they drive me crazy sometimes) eventually the dogs will run them off but have never tried to actually catch one.

None of my dogs has ever killed a chicken, but when they first saw them they would chase and grab. I had taught them the "no" command so I watched closely, and when they got too close said "no." I did watch them closely for a few months but stopped bothering after that. Now they wander freely among the chickens, and I no longer see fox or coon.

Might depend on whether your dogs are accustomed to following any command; if they are, it shouldn't be that hard to teach one new one.

I do realize all dogs are different. We did have one stray come around that we had to remove because you couldn't get near him or get him to do anything, and he was too interested in the chickens and cats. But maybe there is hope.

Back
Top Bottom