MY DOG BIT MY DUCK !!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Poultry2017, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Poultry2017

Poultry2017 In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2017
    My dog is a sheepdog and she loves my ducks. She was herding them and one of the ducks wouldn’t move for her. So because of her natural instinct to nip a sheeps heels if they aren’t moving she bit the duck. The duck ran around quacking for a minute but after that she seemed fine. I haven’t let her near them since as I’m worried she could do more damage. I was wondering if I should put something on the wound so it doesn’t get infected. I don’t know how I would get disinfectent or whatever on though because my ducks won’t let me near them. The ducks mood hasn’t been any different though they’re the same as ever. They have always been a bit skittish and they aren’t scared of my dog

Attached Files:

2. 1983Dan

1983Dan In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2017
    South Yorkshire U.K
    Can you take it to a vet for advice its hard because if you cover it you could course more infection.

CayugaJana likes this.
  3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    If it were my duck and going to the vet wasn't an option I'd go to tractor supply and get some antibiotics and some sort of liquid bandage spray or the kind you "paint" on. I'm sure others on here have better ideas.

Ducks are pretty easy to herd. I take a stick and walk behind them and shake my hands and stick to guide them where I want them to go. Guide them in a corner, then pick her up.

Poor little thing. That really does look like it hurts. I would definitely restrict it from swimming until it heals.

Bridger Davis and 1983Dan like this.
  4. Poultry2017

Poultry2017 In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2017
    Thank you I will definitely try that tomorrow and I’ll keep everyone updated

CayugaJana likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Use antiseptic spray....My Dog is trained also to wrangle Birds but to never use her mouth...I have 3 Trained Dogs...
    My Yorkeshire Terrier is trained to push or kick with her front feet but never use her mouth...
    Birds heal quickly and a Vet in my opinion is not needed...

1983Dan, gal5150 and sourland like this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Skin lesions in fowl generally heal readily because of their high body temperature. Antiseptic spray, antibiotic ointment and make sure flies do not access the wound, and your duck should be fine.

7. gal5150

gal5150 Songster

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    Agreed with the last two posts....vetericyn spray, some antibiotic ointment without pain relief, and keep an eye on it.

8. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    Poor girl!

CayugaJana likes this.
  9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

My Aussie/Golden Retriever is also trained to never use her mouth...She brought Casanova my Call Drake home after a Fox attacked and Killed two of my Chicks...Ithought the Fox got him....She went into the bog and bushes and herded him home..She was crawling on the ground and using her paws as trained to get him heading home in the right direction ...Good Girl...I use soft soccer balls and train them to use their paws and zero mouth...Lots of praise...Works because Dogs love a job...

Duckworth likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: