My dog broke into the pen and killed my best hens- so sad

We have a jack-rat and a rottweiller. The rat could care less about the chickens, but the rott loves them. Where the chickens are she is. She will lay outside the coop and watch them. I believe she thinks it is her job. We have 6 laying hens and we HAD 34 meat birds. Currently she is in mourning. really. Her name is Hooch, she is a rescue dog. Best dog I have ever had. Good luck on your search.

I have two breeds I have never heard of showing aggression toward any other animal. We have a Blood Hound and a Maltease. Neither one would hurt ANY other creature. The Bloodhound even licks (kisses) little chicks. The Maltease is scared of the hens.

sorry about your chickens, I lost 2 to a raccoon the other night--thankful that I didn't lose the other 9. I have a german shepherd/rottweiler mix dog and she does great with the chickens. She is very protective, but does not have a strong prey drive in her. She is very loyal to me and wants to be with me all the time, thus if she knows that the animals mean something to me, then she is careful not to hurt them. The working/ herding dogs can usually be trained to not hurt the livestock.

Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Those rat terriers are evil little animals (if you have other small animals). I lost an entire herd(?) of rabbits & 4 cats to ONE little terrier that some jerk dumped out on my street. It seems to just be in that breed's nature to hunt & kill any small animal that it can. If a person had cows & a rat problem, I could see a need for the breed, otherwise, they are a nuisance.

It's good that you re-homed him, it's more than I would have done in the heat of the moment.

I *used* to feel like pit bulls just got a bad rap, and it was all in the raising. It's not. I'm getting rid of my 2nd one now because it has turned scary vicious towards other animals & visitors. Now I'm done with that breed too. I just don't want to have to put my own animal down because it killed/hurt another of my animals or a visitor. I hate to see him go, because he is a beautiful dog. But if he's got blood on his muzzle, that's the same as blood on my hands...and I can't have it.

I'm going with anything that falls under the "Mutt/Sooner" category.

I know how you feel.
Again:
hugs.gif

I meant to tell you, don't kick yourself over one setback. Learning comes best through experience.

Try again, if raising chickens pleases you. Losing something that you have put so much effort into can be devastating, but that is to be said for anything we surround ourselves with.

If it is something that you enjoy, you should put this aside, and go forward with knowledge of what you can do better next time.

Blessed be.

OH my!

I wish I'd seen this earlier, I'm not too far from Riverside, and would've come to help clean (if you still need help PM me).

It's not your fault, it's really not.

First things first, clean up and reinforce the coop/pen, and see how your collie does being a solo dog. I'd had good luck with my cats and my birds, would a mouser be an option?

Thank you for the clean up offer! I managed to get it all cleaned up and dusted with DE and rearranged the coop. I love my birds. Sat out there with coffee this morning and just watched them scratching around. So sweet. The lone survivor of the attack might just make it. Last night I caught it and tried to clean the wounds and one puncture wound was FULL of maggots!!! I nearly retched, pulled myself together, and DH and I cleaned every single one out (I hope), doused with hydrogen peroxide, and started her on antibiotics today. She is quarantined in a wire cage inside of the coop, so she can be part of the flock but is left alone. She is the lowest in the pecking order and I didn't want her harassed. She is slowly starting to act like a hen again. Meanwhile, the holocaust has freaked them all out and I am getting 2 eggs a day from 12 hens!!! When is that going to pick up? Oh well.... Thank you everyone for your advice and condolences. :)

Just wanted to put in a plug for a smooth (short haired) collie. Mine was such a sweetie, and like most collies never met another animal or child he didn't love. It would never have entered his head to do anything but protect "his" chickens, although he may have herded them given the opportunity. No grooming fees on the smoothies, but they DO shed -- a LOT!

My condolences on your loss.

I'm so sorry for what you're going thorugh. We had a dog years ago who killed one of our cats, and maimed our other cat, and so I know what you're going through. It is a terrible, terrible feeling to feel responsible for not having protected your animals.

But we got through it -- our maimed (one-eyed, snorty, but otherwise fine) cat is lying next to me as I write this. The dog lived to a ripe old age, and never bothered the cat again (due to intense precautions we took).

Don't give up. We live and learn, and at the end of the day, they are animals, not people. (And I say this as a deeply obsessed animal person who cried off and on literally for MONTHS about the killed cat).

Keep going. And don't blame yourself. I agree with what others have said about choosing a dog that has a working relationship with animals. What about a mini-Aussie? My mom has those and they are gentle and sweet to other animals.

Quote:
So sad to hear about this horrible attack
sad.png
and so terribly sad for the lives lost and for what they had to endure.

Wanted to mention that I've seen a lot of references here on BYC about hydrogen peroxide destroying tissue and not being good to use..not sure if less of a problem diluted... But certainly getting the maggots out (boy did they arrive on the scene quickly
hmm.png
- wow) and giving her antibiotic is good (one that deals with these types of issues is important) Topical neosporin without pain relief ingredient is often used for the minor surficial wounds. Rescue Remedy - drop or two - in water can be given for calming, stress relief. If she needs pain relief (sometimes they don't eat or drink well when in too much pain) and you are feeling like she's not having internal (or external) bleeding you could try some aspirin water (a common dose is 1 baby aspirin (no substitutes without confirming okay for chickens) crushed per cup of water, fresh batch twice per day.

Keeping her well hydrated will help her. Higher protein in her diet (can include eggs) may help with healing.

I hope she'll get well soon. They have amazing resilience when they get the help they need so hopefully she'll heal and enjoy brighter days ahead.
JJ

at the end of the day, they are animals, not people

My apologies for a slight detour here. City G, you are trying to help and you're being very compassionate so I hate to use your words as an example because they're meant innocently..... so this is not not not meant for you at all. The phrase above just reminds me that I hear many people sort of automatically say things like this and it makes me wince every time, usually silently, when I really want to somehow say as nicely as possible that it's good to feel deeply when something horrible like the OP's situation happens. And that it doesn't matter that they're not people - pain is pain, suffering is suffering, terror is terror. We (people) are animals too....and pretty much all living beings wake up in the morning with a desire to live another day without terror, pain or death.... If it doesn't work out that way, it is cause for legitimate sorrow in good souls. My radar always tunes in when on the news someone says "he acted like an animal" (we are animals and the worst among us are probably as ruthless an animal as there ever was or will be) or "it was horrible - he was treated like a dog" (as though treating a dog or any non-person the way the man was treated is somehow acceptable). I hope someday never to hear such words again.... Thanks for putting up with me segwaying to observations on this - it seems I am compelled to channel our animal friends at times!​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom