My dog got to my new pullet :(

nikiluchau

Hatching
Jul 14, 2021
Hey BYC, I just got some new pullets 2 days ago and unfortunately, my dog just got to one this morning and killed her. Does anyone have any advice in disciplining my dog and training dogs in general around chickens? I would hate to have this happen again and im not sure how to go about disciplining my dog about this morning's incident.

Don't discipline the dog - dogs are just doing what their instinct tells them.

Depending on your set up and how you want to handle things, you can either fence the dog out/fence the chickens in, and never shall the two sides meet without a sturdy fence in between, or you can work on training the dog, knowing that that's going to be a slow process and in the meantime you will still need to fence them apart or supervise closely.

I have 3 dogs, all of which have killed wild rabbits and other small critters, so the dogs and chickens will never be allowed to mingle. If chickens are out, dogs are inside. If dogs are out, chickens are locked in their run.

How old and what breed is your dog? Under what conditions/what was the scenario when your dog killed the pullet? (On that note, how old was the pullet?)

My dogs protect my chickens by guarding against potential chicken-killing varmits, and killing any predators that dare test their defenses. My dogs are the main reason my free-range flocks remain safe and alive in my rural, heavily wooded area. But i put a lot of time into closely supervising and monitoring them around the chickens for many months, until i am sure they totally ignore/are completely unreactive to a chicken's presence and antics. Until then, when im not around the "dog in training" is penned separately from the chickens, with no ability to interact with chickens other than observing them through the dog's 10x10×6 dog kennel run.

Dogs can be a chicken's best friend/protector or their worst enemy. There isnt much ground in between. The difference usually depends on a dog's breed (prey drive), age, & perhaps most importantly of all, a dog's willingness to please. From a dog's view, chasing a squawking flapping chicken "toy" is great fun. Is your dog willing enough to please you to give up its innate desire to chase a chicken? The fact your dog has already killed will make (re)training much more difficult. I agree with the others its probably best to keep your dogs and chicken(s) completely separated from now on.

But IF your dog was unsupervised when the killing took place, IF your dog had no idea or understanding that killing chickens is completely off limits, and IF your dog is very willing to please you and ignore its innate instincts, with patience & time you may be able to teach it to coexist with chickens.

My advice is if you want to keep chickens build them a predator proof coop and run and never allow your dog around them again unless its on a leash AND supervised.I'd also build a tall fence between the dog and chickens housing so it won't be hanging around the coop and run barking or otherwise harassing them. Wishing you the best!

Back
Top Bottom