My Dog has heartworm

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Sorry about that. Yes,collies are known to be smart.
Its not letting me respond to you on my profile page. But yes...she is a rescue. We got her from Lakeshore PAWS. She's been abused in the past. She has behavior issues: biting, anger, jealousy, peeing in her crate, anxiety, etc. I've managed to train most of it out since we got her 8 months ago. She also came with health issues: giardia and heartworm. She gave the cat (also a rescue but from 14 years ago) giardia. The whole experience has been rough on the family but I've been the glue holding it together. She is now very much our "daughter" and we love her dearly

Dinogrrl

Chirping
Aug 17, 2019
North Carolina
What a cutie! Yeah definitely call the vet as soon as they are open tomorrow and let them know she's in pain. They should adjust her pain control protocol for the next time. Unfortunately, those injections are fairly painful and some dogs are more sensitive than others. You don't know how they'll do with it until they have it done.

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Pain pills finally kicked in. Shes panting waaaay less and is sitting calmly. I worry about tomorrow morning but shes gonna sleep with us tonight so we can monitor her. My boss said I can bring her into work so I can keep an eye on her. I'm sure my cubicle isnt much different from a small room/crate :rolleyes:

Dinogrrl

Chirping
Aug 17, 2019
North Carolina
Glad to hear she's gotten some relief! So at least now you know next time, she really needs to have pain meds on board BEFORE the injection, and then get another dose later (if allowed).

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Shes doing much better this morning. Its been about 14 hours since I gave her the pain meds. I think I'll just monitor her and if her pain level is increasing I'll give her another. She ate what was left of her dinner this morning and all of her breakfast. She slept soundly all night.

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Update! Duchess got her second treatment today. They forgot about us and we ended up being there for 3 hours. I took the advice of an earlier poster and gave her her pain pill beforehand. She is still in a lot of pain though. She did not want to eat. I had to put some beef broth on her food to get her to eat her dinner. On top of it all one of her medications had the wrong dosage written on it. I called for clarification and they corrected the error. We go back tomorrow for the last (hopefully!) Injection

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Injection of what? Sorry I missed it.
Heartworm injections are of melarsomide. They receive it in a series of 3 injections over a 2 month period. One by itself and 2 in a 24 hour period. Duchess gets her third and final tomorrow. In 6 months she will be rested and hopefully come back negative for heartworm. If not it will be repeated

Top Bottom