My dog is a chicken eater, don't know what to do

Points that relate to Australian Shepherds, and also Aussie-mixes:
--do not breed two dogs with natural bobtails
--do not breed two dogs with merle color
(for either trait, a puppy that inherits the gene from BOTH parents will have problems. But it is fine for a puppy to get the gene from just one parent.)

We have one of those Premier1 poultry fences. My dogs tested it few times the first day, but now they won't go near it. It's pretty easy to set up. Ours is solar powered and we've never had an issue running out of power in the past 6 months.

Chickens and rabbits really bring out the prey drive in dogs. I don't think there is anything you can do to make the dog trustworthy around chickens. You just have to keep them separate. Have you looked into electrified poultry fencing? It is easily put up and taken down and it can be moved. You can use it to fence off an area so the chickens can forage and be safe from the dog. I know Premier has it.

Points that relate to Australian Shepherds, and also Aussie-mixes:
--do not breed two dogs with natural bobtails
--do not breed two dogs with merle color
(for either trait, a puppy that inherits the gene from BOTH parents will have problems. But it is fine for a puppy to get the gene from just one parent.)
I know there are problems if you breed merle to merle but I didn't know about the natural bobtail, or even that there was such a thing. Can you please elaborate?

The dog that lives here is an Australian Kelpie, very clever dogs just after the border collie I heard, she was a puppy when got her an she was with chooks her whole life, she got told oi no attacking the chickens you can chase the cows away from the house instead, however the cows ain't very scared of her and instead chase her if anyone is chasing anyone, but she tried for a while until we were like ok, just relax doggie u can chase tennis balls an sticks instead. But she never hurt a chook, bit tail feathers a few times here an there but just playfully when younger, now shes such a good dog, just try teach her its all you can do, or separate them... but then you know she may dig into there area and attack depends on dog. Our chooks not worried bout dog, we can leave her out with them they. Puppy training is best imo...

I know there are problems if you breed merle to merle but I didn't know about the natural bobtail, or even that there was such a thing. Can you please elaborate?
The puppies die if they get two copies of the bobtail gene.

Often this shows up as smaller-than-usual litters (because they died so early), but sometime it shows up as dead puppies when they are born, and occasionally as deformed puppies that die soon.

I cannot find mention of ANY dog with two copies of the bobtail gene that lived to be an adult.

Thinking about Araucana chickens, another case where individuals who are impacted that way. Also overo pinto horses. And then Manx cats, where 'correct' individuals can have other spinal cord difficulties.
Lots of 'interesting' things pop up, when we select for 'interesting' traits.
Mary
In overos it is the frame gene. Which solid horses can carry. That's why it's always important to test before breeding.

As handsome as overos are, I'm not interested in breeding them! Warmbloods have tobiano and sabino, both fine. And sadly, one of the splash pinto mutations, not the lethal gene, but the one that causes deafness. Actually not good either...
Mary
I have seen that gene as well. Once with a pally and once with a black. Both did extremely well in the show pen despite being deaf. Definitely a challenge though. I don't know as much about that as I do OLWS.

Back
Top Bottom