My dog keeps killing ducks please help

Lady507

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Lately, I have been having problems with my new husky of a year old with killing ducks that are jumping the fence from the canal. Just to tell you a little about her, i got her when she was 2 months old and since the day she came i introduced my pigeons and the ducks from the canal. I used to make her lay down when she saw them as a sign of submission and positive reinforcement when she ignored them flying or walking. She lives indoor but goes outside often, as she loves it. She never looked at a bird until 2 weeks ago that she killed a duck that jumped over the fence. We scolded her for killing it and left her tied up as a negative reinforcement. The weeks passed and she had gone back to normal not looking at any of the birds. Then all of a sudden she killed another one in the few minutes that i had gone inside from watching her. i did the same as last time but now i feel like i can't trust her not even with my 2 chihuahuas even though she has never been aggressive or harsh with them. The canal is right next to my fence so its inevitable that the ducks would enter especially since they love coming to eat the leftover pigeon food that falls. I don't know if anyone has experienced something similar or has a better idea of how to stop her killing them. I greatly appreciate any responses, thank you for your time and sorry for writing so much.

Your dog is still young and a husky to boot - they're one of the most prey driven breeds I can think of, and stubborn as well. I'd continue with obedience training since that's always beneficial but would not trust her around the birds without strict supervision. I don't allow my dogs and chickens to mix - if dogs are out, chickens are in their run. If chickens are out, dogs are in the house.

Since you said she likes being outdoors, have you considered a dog run, for those times she wants to be out but you don't have time to watch her?

Your dog is still young and a husky to boot - they're one of the most prey driven breeds I can think of, and stubborn as well. I'd continue with obedience training since that's always beneficial but would not trust her around the birds without strict supervision. I don't allow my dogs and chickens to mix - if dogs are out, chickens are in their run. If chickens are out, dogs are in the house.

Since you said she likes being outdoors, have you considered a dog run, for those times she wants to be out but you don't have time to watch her?

thank you for answering and the problem with a dog run is I feel like she would jump out since they are known to be climbers. But I will give it a try just in case, maybe like a really tall one. From now on I know I can’t leave her unsupervised cause she is becoming too unpredictable with the ducks and I can’t control those since they just fly in. Have you ever had any problems with your dogs trying to kill a bird? And tips to how you stopped it? Thank you for responding, I am just trying to make sure I am training her well and to find a solution to prevent anymore killings.

A covered run should stop her from leaping out (I suppose if she's a talented climber she could climb up and chew her way out, but that would be pretty amazing).

I previously had a husky/Akita that liked harassing my birds and currently my Anatolian shepherd (her paperwork lists her as a husky, but I don't see any husky in her) does the same. I do not let them mix, ever, nor do I let my other dogs, who show no sign of chicken aggression, mix with the chickens either. What I am currently working on is getting my Anatolian to stop harassing the birds, and that's the "Leave It" command. She's starting to get it (a pocketful of treats helps), but still has lapses here and there where she just can't resist leaping at them.

I know it sound kinda cruel but there are 2 methods that I use. Punish the dog severely when caught in the act, or when it is bigger and have killed more poultry toe one of the dead birds to its neck until it rots and the dog is now disgusted by them. I have a 4 month puppy right now that killed my ducks, we punished her severely and she has not done it since. Good luck!

You have your work cut out for you. As others have said, Huskies have a VERY high prey drive. Personally, I don't think you can ever be able to trust her around poultry but I may be wrong. Poultry and rabbits really bring out the prey drive in dogs. You might try an electric collar and set her up. Using one properly and effectively takes some skill. The dog needs to think it its own actions, not you, caused it to get zapped.

A covered run should stop her from leaping out (I suppose if she's a talented climber she could climb up and chew her way out, but that would be pretty amazing).

I previously had a husky/Akita that liked harassing my birds and currently my Anatolian shepherd (her paperwork lists her as a husky, but I don't see any husky in her) does the same. I do not let them mix, ever, nor do I let my other dogs, who show no sign of chicken aggression, mix with the chickens either. What I am currently working on is getting my Anatolian to stop harassing the birds, and that's the "Leave It" command. She's starting to get it (a pocketful of treats helps), but still has lapses here and there where she just can't resist leaping at them.

that’s a really good way to teach them through the leave it. Mines knows the command but sometimes it tends to go through one ear and out the other. But I have been trying to reinforce it and it’s been going good
So I’ll try to practice with the ducks so she gets acostumbed to leave them alone and enforce the command. Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it.

You have your work cut out for you. As others have said, Huskies have a VERY high prey drive. Personally, I don't think you can ever be able to trust her around poultry but I may be wrong. Poultry and rabbits really bring out the prey drive in dogs. You might try an electric collar and set her up. Using one properly and effectively takes some skill. The dog needs to think it its own actions, not you, caused it to get zapped.

I agree I have realized that her prey drive has gotten up all of a sudden. what surprised me about it was how she used to let the ducks come all the way to her and drink her water without ever giving them a second glance, and then all of a sudden she just started killing them. I’ve learned I can’t trust her in the yard in her own no longer and I’m taking extra measures to prevent it. If that didn’t work, my last method I was thinking about the electric collar cause it will be the easiest way without her negatively seeing me, plus she is not the easiest to scold or negatively reinforce cause she thinks everything is a game or she forgets after a few minutes.Thank you for the electric collar idea as I might have to consider it into the future if the problem isn’t solved.

Back
Top Bottom