My dog killed a chick & it's my fault!

I am so sorry this happened to you. Don't blame yourself. You never know what a dog is thinking in that one second of time. I may be wrong but I believe that the dog jumped up to grab a "toy". To a dog they are moving, noise making, toys to be caught and played with. A ball that moves on its own. It seems you have one dog of I think you said 3 that has a keener interest in the "toys" in your garage and then in your hand.

We have a teacup poodle who jumped up onto a 3 ft table from a sit position to see what I was carrying into the house (a new puppy).

If you observe, is the dog that greets you at the door when you come home,the one with the "so what did you bring for me" the one who got the chick?

It will take time and training, and it may never resolve but things could get better with the dogs behavior.

Hugs to you for having this happen and to have to witness it.

I am so sorry that happened to you and your chickie, but I'm sure you didn't expect it. Therefore (in my eyes) it's only an accident, not your fault.
sad.png

And also, thank you for posting because I am new here and trying to learn as much as I can before my chicks are delivered. Your experince has already helped me. I have a dog that I'm worried about, and now I know to be extra extra careful. She's a Springer Spaniel so she has hunting instincts.

train the dog to leave the chickens alone..
and it was your foult that chick got killed. you put it in harms way..
you knew your dog would bite it if given the chance.. and you still have not trained your dog to co- exist..
Wow!!! That's harsh! Nobody would do that on purpose!! Give the poor person some grace!!!

My little chic was killed yesterday too. It was also my fault... My chickens are free range but sleep in a coop at night. The mommy with the 3 chicks were scratching around. I wanted to pick the chics up and move them and the mommy to the coop for their safety. As soon as I picked up 2 my little pekingese jumped and killed the little one left on the ground. So I don't know how many people know the following.... The dogs lie around th e chicks looking protective and caring. This is however not true. As alpha they are waiting for you to make the first move. So when I picked the two chics up it signaled to the dogs that the hunt was on. I had heard this just the evening before but it didn't cross my mind at the time... So one precious life gone because I made a mistake...

Back
Top Bottom