*my* dog killed a neighbor's chicken!!!!

Aww a pitchfork? Poor girl wasn't on his favorite list apparently. lol

Yeah the pitchfork thing is a bit odd. Unless one has large livestock and needs to move hay why would they even have a pitchfork?

Regarding the 11 year old LGD, I think said dog would be fine with chicks introduced carefully to the HOUSE in a safe enclosure.

To be fair, the dog may have chased the chickens before playing with the other dog. However if the chicken was laying in the grass without bite marks the dog was not trying to kill. Pobably just had lots of doggy fun chasing the loud, flapping toys it had never seen before.
I have had a pack of house dogs for 2+ decades and yes they can kill without leaving bite marks or blood.

After saying that I find this whole situation to be quite mysterious.

Last edited:
I have had a pack of house dogs for 2+ decades and yes they can kill without leaving bite marks or blood.

After saying that I find this whole situation to be quite mysterious.

I did not know that. I have been lucky enough not to have a dog attack my chickens/geese yet. 1 of my dogs killed a neighbors chicks that were in my yard, but the bird had teeth marks and looked kind of flat. Please explain how they kill without wounds?

Last edited:
I did not know that. I have been lucky enough not to have a dog attack my chickens/geese yet. 1 of my dogs killed a neighbors chicks that were in my yard, but the bird had teeth marks and looked kind of flat. Please explain how they kill without wounds?

It is called bite force or just plain blunt impact. Ever heard of severe internal injuries suffered in a car accident? Or someone being hit in the head so hard it kills them? Or a fatal stroke?

Heavy pawing or bites that do not break the skin can easily cause death without obvious signs (not obvious to the lay person, an autopsy or necropsy by a certified professional would show the cause).

I keep my chickens safe from my dogs but yes, it can happen involving most any species, not just chickens.

Last edited:
It is called bite force or just plain crushing/impact. Ever heard of severe internal injuries suffered in a car accident? Or someone being hit in the head so hard it kills them?

Heavy pawing or bites that do not break the skin can easily cause death without obvious signs (obvious to the lay person, an autopsy or necropsy by a certified professional would show the deed).

I keep my chickens safe from my dogs but yes, it happens.

Yes I have heard of that, but wouldn't the bird look a little flat? The way the chick my dog killed did? I noticed it right off.

Death can also simply come from shock associated with fear. That is a problem with some poultry breeds where frightened individuals die of shock. Some wildlife do the same.

Thanks for the tips! I have chickens and geese and a very dangerous pack of stray dogs roaming my neighborhood. It's good to know all the ways they can kill my birds. I have a 9mm loaded with hollow points ready and waiting for the day those dogs discover my flock. My dogs, my chicken killer among them, are in an custom made escape proof pen in the back yard. So any dog attack would be from a stray.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I have chickens and geese and a very dangerous pack of stray dogs roaming my neighborhood. It's good to know all the ways they can kill my birds. I have a 9mm loaded with hollow points ready and waiting for the day those dogs discover my flock. My dogs, my chicken killer among them, are in an custom made escape proof pen in the back yard. So any dog attack would be from a stray.

Hate to say it, but sometimes a 9mm will end up being the only way to protect your flock. I've been in situations where owners take zero responsibility for their dogs and animal control have no interest in goings-on outside of the city or in neighboring counties. Protect your birds any way you can, imo.

Hate to say it, but sometimes a 9mm will end up being the only way to protect your flock. I've been in situations where owners take zero responsibility for their dogs and animal control have no interest in goings-on outside of the city or in neighboring counties. Protect your birds any way you can, imo.

I know it and this pack is extremely dangerous. They broke through a chain link fence to tear an old mans full grown German Shepard front leg off, they also broke I to another yard to kill a weenie dog, and they killed a husky/ Shepard mix that got loose from her yard. If their attacks on dogs isn't bad enough, they also bit a 15 year old boy, but the father chose not to report it, and I myself have been chased down the street by them, as well as chasing them out of my yard with a metal bar. Finally fed up with that and some hoodlums breaking into a friends house I got a 9mm for myself, my hubby got a 45, and he got me a shotgun. I tried animal control, they won't catch them and will only pick them up if you hold them and pay them for the service. I called the sheriff, all they did was give the owners a warning and tell them I could legally shoot the dogs if they were on my property. Even with they way they seem to acquire dogs, at last count they had 12, they will run out of dogs before my husband and I run out of bullets.

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but sometimes a 9mm will end up being the only way to protect your flock. I've been in situations where owners take zero responsibility for their dogs and animal control have no interest in goings-on outside of the city or in neighboring counties. Protect your birds any way you can, imo.

Hate to say it but I have a cop neighbor with a pack of loose inbred stray dogs, I don't even think about using my 9mm. I have this crazy idea about FENCING!

I have good fencing so MY dogs stay in, and that also protects the property from OTHER dogs killing any of mine.

Neither of the 9mm handguns nor the .223 were purchased to kill desperate stray dogs looking for food; I have fencing which is MUCH cheaper than the firearms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom