my dog killed all my ducklings, and a guinea today

GET A SHOCK COLLAR...my Heeler always wears hers....goes on first thing in the morning and the last thing done at nite. You must train with them. Set up a situation and say nothing to the dog...just shock it on a really high setting....the dog will think the chicken, cat, bunny, etc did it. And I would not own a dog that growed at me....you have an out of control dog. Shock collar will fit that!

Wish I had a cure-all for you, all I have is comments, but maybe it will lead to something that works.
1) Dogs growl for different reasons (mine growls out of nervousness sometimes) so make sure you understood your dog's reason for growling and act accordingly. I'm sure you already know that if you're going to take away a "toy" you have to make a trade instead.
2) Some dogs really love their owners, but have little respect for other people or species, and will treat the unrespected accordingly. Such a dog does not understand consequences, or may not care. I knew a dog & owner that worked with an animal communicator because the dog was biting people and was on "strike two" before being put down. The dog just did not like any people other than his owner, and could not promise the communicator that he wouldn't bite again. The dog pretty much said "that's who I am".
So I guess you can work with an animal communicator to see if there is any possible resolution, if you put stock in that type of communication, or sadly part ways.
3) I consider myself caretaker for all my animals for their entire lives or until I see that they would be better somewhere else (only happened once, and I visited every chance I got). This may be a sign that your big dog might have a better situation waiting for him. Or your chickens. Depends on the prospects, I guess.
You have all my sympathies, and I hope a solution becomes clear for you. I wish you the best of luck and good fortune.

Very sorry your chickens were killed. My biggest concern is that the dog growled at you. A dog that size that is starting to become dominant is not to be messed with. It's a short step from killing ducklings and keets to killing the chickens that are to be guarded. I don't know enough about the breed to make suggestions. I would definately limit my childrens' interaction with the dog until I could figure out what is going on. Good luck, this is a tough one. It may be that as a 2 year old he is becoming more dominant. That needs to be corrected or he needs to go.

It is all about training. Great Pyrs are no exception. He was accustomed to the chickens and not trained to specifically protect the duck and guineas. They are mentally programmed to protect their charges...others are chased away or killed.

You will have to introduce him to new ducks and train him to guard them as well...they must be made his charges or he will eliminate them.

His growling at you MUST be immediately addressed and corrected. That behavior cannot be tolerated from a dog as powerful as Pyr.

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss.

Pyrenese and other LGDs tend to need very specific training - first off address the growling - but this is not unusual behavior for a dog to have its 'fun new toy' taken away from - this also is suggesting the dog does not respect you as its alpha - you need to see a trainer and address this issue IMMEDIATELY.

She/he is only killing ducks and guineas not the chickens she was originally trained/associated with guarding - there in lies the problem to that. You need to reprimand her for the killings - and re-train her to guard the ducks and guineas as well. These dogs' instinct is to guard their charges - their 'family' and intimiate or eliminate anything that isn't their charges in their area. SO that being said she went for the ducklings and the guineas because they weren't taught to be 'hers or his' charges.

I don't believe in many dogs being unfixable - I have seen supposedly 'impossible dogs' trained - it takes a firm hand - someone who is going to be alpha sometimes unconventional methods, and ALOT of repeat repeat repeat before a dog will get it -but they will. Though some dogs are just put in a situation where they can't adapt and something has to be changed but I don't think thats the case here - he's 2 still in the learning stage of a dog's life and he's doing what he THINKS he's supposed to be doing, and also the growling could be - he thinks its his right to have the keet since he did his job - so this has to be addressed that you are alpha - you are in charge and that behavior is completely unacceptable.

Good luck! Take care, and best wishes to having a united fuzzy and feathered family.

AGREED...AGREED...AGREED... breaking him from killing critters can be done...BUT... growling @ YOU can NOT BE TOLERATED! A dog that size MUST know you are ALPHA! If you are unable to be fearless (willing to be bit in the process) he must be removed! (I'm not saying I want you bit, but they KNOW when you don't care if you are bit and just that knowing will be enough to stop them).

So sorry about you birds and your dog situation... but have been there myself (German Shepherds and Corgis(my grand-puppies)... of the 2, Corgis are the most trouble)... and as a point of information, I love my chickens but can not live without my GSDs!

Everyone at my house must live in harmony or they do not live here anymore! But a lot comes from you and your Alpha-ness. Good luck with a bad situation.

PS: Please forgive me for all the CAPITALS, but this is a subject I feel very strongly about and could turn into something bigger than killed birds.

Quote:
Lady Hawk, I would love to know more about the Great Pyrs. and if they would be good dog for where I live. Do you have any links, books or other help so I can find out more?

Thanks!

thank you so much everyone for your replies - I think he growled mainly because myself, my husband, my son, my father in law and his 2 dachsunds converged on him to try and take the guinea out of his mouth, and my husband and I also spanked him, ( not hard, a bop on the nose) which we should not have done because to him I think it was just a bird he found outside wandering in the garden and he took care of it, so he was probably scared of everyone coming at him shouting at him - when I say he growled - he didn't really growl at me or bare his teeth, he just sort of growled quietly when I spanked him.

I should have not assumed when I got the other birds that he would automatically guard them, like someone said, I will have to make them his charges, so he can guard them.

we won't be getting rid of him, he is way too useful as a guard - he needs a bit of updating on his training I believe, its something easily let slip!

To the lady who was asking (rustyswoman) about pyrs as pets, I will say they are different to any other kind of dog you will ever own, they are very insular, and their job is taken very seriously, anything new on your property will be immediatly investigated - and killed as I found out the hard way - nobody or nothing gets into our yard without us knowing, and without him giving chase - people don't get out of their cars unless we are there, he is wonderful protection, and yet I can walk him miles without him pulling my arm out, my children crawl all over him without a whimper and the 2 dachsunds we have sleep with him and love on him, woe betide them if they try to steal his food or toys though, I have trained him not to be food aggresive with me or my family by putting my hand in his food when he eats, and taking it away - lots of pyrs have food aggression, which can be dangerous. they are not fawning kinds of dogs, although he is very loving, he will lean on you to get petting rather than jumping around like some dogs do.

there is also the night barking to think about - if they are out, they bark - and it's incredibly loud!
mine does not wander, but they are known for that.

this is a great forum -http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/index.php

Mine is 1/4 anatolian, and is short coated, so he does fine in the texas heat, otherwise they get way to hot

Quote:
I believe this can work -- my DH had a dog as a kid that killed a chicken. They tied it around his neck until it rotted off -- and he never touched another chicken.

HOWEVER, any time a 150 pound dog growls at you when you try to take away food or a toy -- THAT IS A TERRIBLE BITE OR MAULING WAITING TO HAPPEN! And a 150 pound dog could kill a small child or toddler with a grab and a few shakes of the head.

I'm sorry -- the dog has to go!!!
hit.gif

BluegrassSeramas speaks the truth. And so does wsdareme … to point. It’s not necessary to get rid of the dog. What you need is a GOOD dog / people trainer. Other wise wsdareme is totally correct. If the dog has just turned two it has just reached maturity and if it thinks its alpha you're in big trouble.

Sorry for you losses.

Edited to add: I just read your last post. You may be more dog savvy than I assumed. You may have the knowledge too handle the situation without a “professional” trainer.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Milo2145 -- I am glad to hear in so many ways that your dog is good. I will say that little growl from being startled by eveyone converging on him and getting a spanking still needs to be taken seriously. That is a small beginning to asserting his dominance. While I fully understand your point about why he growled, still NEVER ignore a growl. I have a very dominate hunting dog, and one thing the trainer told me fromt he get go was to NEVER ignore him growling at us. Every little inch of dominance he gets will be followed by more and more. So I say nip that in the bud, he needs to know you are alpha in ALL situations. Especially when he is scared as this is when a dog can be most dangerous. I have thought of rehoming ours due to his enormous prey drive, but my kids adore him and I am trying everything before I say he is too much.. I have never been out done by a dog before, this will be a first but he is a real booger.

Back
Top Bottom