my dog killed my niegbors chicken what Now

Absolutely tell your neighbor and apologize profusely! (Hopefully They will likely apologize for allowing their bird to roam onto your property.) I would also personally offer to pay to replace the bird. It is important to keep good relationships with your neighbors if you want to live in peace. Put yourself in their shoes and treat them how you would want to be treated.

Absolutely tell your neighbor and apologize profusely! (Hopefully They will likely apologize for allowing their bird to roam onto your property.) I would also personally offer to pay to replace the bird. It is important to keep good relationships with your neighbors if you want to live in peace. Put yourself in their shoes and treat them how you would want to be treated.
I WAS in their shoes.

It isn't the dogs fault. The chicken shouldn't have been there.

The apology is a must IMO. But paying for the chicken is not. I didn't expect my neighbor to pay for the loss of my bird when it was "my fault" that she ended up over there. He was kind enough to euthanize her for me when I realized she was too badly injured to save.

I still love my neighbors and still hate their dogs. My chickens are now (finally) successfully confined to an electro-netted pen. If any of them escape, whatever may happen to them is MY problem.

I WAS in their shoes.

It isn't the dogs fault. The chicken shouldn't have been there.

The apology is a must IMO. But paying for the chicken is not. I didn't expect my neighbor to pay for the loss of my bird when it was "my fault" that she ended up over there. He was kind enough to euthanize her for me when I realized she was too badly injured to save.

I still love my neighbors and still hate their dogs. My chickens are now (finally) successfully confined to an electro-netted pen. If any of them escape, whatever may happen to them is MY problem.
I agree with @DobieLover . It's really sad no matter who is responsible, but if the trespasser was the chicken then you aren't responsible for paying for it.

my dog is super sweet she loves to chase birds so i guess when she saw the chicken she attacked it and thought it would fly away. shpuld I punish my dog... tell my niebor... p.s. the chicken flew into our yard.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry you had this happen. :(

If you know your neighbors are reasonable folks and your own life, or that of your dog or family would not be in danger... then I agree 100% with Dobie! If they are tweekers, keep your mouth shut.

I commend you for coming onto a forum where we are obviously passionate about our birds (dogs and other animals as well) to seek guidance and opening yourself up to possible ridicule. Most of us here though will try to be supportive to the best of our ability! :highfive:

Can't really punish a dog for going after stuff in its' own yard. :fl

Like others said, he was doing what dogs do, and it was in his yard. But i know that doesn't make you feel better. Most people are reasonable so I hope this doesn't put any tension between you and the neighbor.
As much as I adore my chickens, if one of them was killed while being in my neighbors yard, I would be heart broken but would understand.

My Dog (puppy) actually jumped the fence and killed my neighbor's Silkie roos.
She was worried about telling me!!, I felt horrible, her husband actually told us.

She said it was fine, she didn't want Karma (our dog) to get in trouble, and Rod Stewart (her roo) was on his last legs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom