My dog pinned down a chicken and plucked her feathers

Grima

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
South Carolina
I noticed about 3 days ago one of my hens, about 4 1/2 months, had a lump on her face. I put some vetamax on it. Then as I was sitting outside with my friend, she noticed and screamed "yer dog is eating your chicken!!!" I ran over and scooped her up, scolded my dog, and she was limp, not dead. He didn't cause and wounds, he simply had her pinned down and tore out some feathers. Upon further inspection of her I noticed she had more lumps on her, mainly on the legs. I guess she was sick? Maybe tumors? Not sure but I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that maybe my dog had her pinned and pulling her feathers because she was sick? My dog has never showed any kind of ill interest in them before, not even chase them......she died over night
1f62b.png

Last edited:
Aww sorry about your hen! I think maybe the lump was a tumor, and possibly cancerous. However, if it was onher neck it might have been something wrong with her crop...? I don't know. Again, sorry for your poor hen!:hugs :hugs

That's not good
sad.png
What do you mean by "lumps"? Were they sores, blisters, etc.?

Probably the dog. In the future, I would consider putting fencing up or heavily training your dog to not bother the chickens.

No definitely not from the dog. They were lumps or growths that were not red. She was sick from something and I was just wondering if that is why my dog singled her out

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom