1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Dog Saved the Chickens, but Not Himself

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AWChickens, Feb 24, 2009.

1. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    When I let my dogs out in the yard this morning, they surprised a very ballsy coyote in the act of trying to break into the coop. My 7 lb papillon ran to save the chickens- and it all happened so fast. The coyote mauled him and then took off- so now my little guy is fighting for his life in surgery, ad I'm plotting the demise of every coyote in a 3 mile radius of my house.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I am so sorry. I hope that he pulls through. What a tough little guy! [​IMG]

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    awww i am so sorry to hear about you fearless lil friend...i hope he pulls through

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, so sorry for your brave fella! Please let us know how he does.

. . . and maybe he needs a new friend, something on the order of a husky or mastiff or Pyrenees . . . ?

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Glad you chickens are okay and sad to hear your little hero is fighting for its life. I'll be praying for a good outcome.

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Dang! I hated to read that. Sorry, and I hope your dog comes through with flying colors.
    I have two Welsh corgis and I heard coyotes yipping down by the creek several mornings lately. I'm buying a Stevens .322 to take them out.

7. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Thank you, and I'm kicking myself because I have a big dog. I let her in the house about 10 minutes before I let the little ones out- I don't like to leave them out unsupervised together but now I wish I had. The coyote must have headed downn to the house as soon as I let the big dog in. Here's a picture of my little guy, hopefully he'll make it home to defend the chickens again

[​IMG]

8. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Awwhhh! I hope the little tiger pulls through....death to all predators....good luck

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Oh poor little guy. Fingers crossed he pulls through.

10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] awe man... [​IMG] to your little brave fella there... and to you. Prayers to you and him that he pulls through. His act of bravery is just amazing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by