My doggie's paw is swollen

SarahBeth9394

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
I noticed my hound has a swollen pad on her paw. Examining her is well let's say an experience. After I got a good look including using a muzzle to do so. I saw no real open wound. There was a tad bit of blood but it had no sign of puss in it. I think there was just a slight crack in the skin which would explain the bit of blood. So I got a bucket and put some epsom salt and lukewarm water in in and went back out. I put the leash on her and stuck her foot in. She gave me no problems. After a couple of minutes I lifted her foot out and gently dried it and took a good look. By then she was as calm as could be because she knew I was helping her. So my plan is to do this a couple of times a day and see if the swelling goes down before we rush to the vets. At the most I'm anticipating a round of antibiotics. But hoping the soaks will take care of it. Any other suggestions

Oh and all you breeders out there do you have any tips on trimming their nails. My pointers nails are getting really long. And the hounds nails are black. Maybe after the hounds foot heals well get back to walking them which should help with the nails.

I thought I'd give an update to the lurkers. I'm taking my hound-dog to the vet. I've tried soaking and cleaning it good but it even seems as tho it's is a bit more swollen and I haven't seen her get up to a good run. She trots over but that's it. And when she crosses the rocks she walk a bit more gingerly. So hopefully some antibiotics and maybe a steroid is all she will need. I just told my hubby that I tried to help her but that didn't work and I'm not waiting for it to end up needing surgery. He agreed, then griped a bit about the bill (hey we both do it but take them in anyhow) and said call the vet.

Has anyone tried that nail trimmer they've been doing informercials on. You know the one that sands them down. They have them at Walmart.

One of my barn cats had something similar. It turned out to be a fungal infection that required a prescription cream. We had to keep her foot coated in the cream and wrapped for about a week.

I hope it's something that I won't have to keep her from going outside. She's an outside dog and we will have to fix up the patio for her. Only thing is it's going to be too cold for her to not be in her dog house. I know we will figure it out if we have to but here's to hoping for the best. She hasn't lost the fur on her foot so that's a good sign.

We use a regular dremil tool to sand down the dogs nails. The trick is, is to start doing it when they are little puppies. Our Boston Terrier sits still and kind of likes it. Our pugs are tolerant, but don't really enjoy the expierience. I freak out with the clippers in fear of cutting too short. Have some septic powder on hand, You know, the stuff that stops the bleeding if you cut too short.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
cool.png

Back from the vets. She examined her paw and used a syringe to check for puss. She didn't get any. So she said it looked like the beginning of an abscess and we could either go the antibiotic route first or lance it. I chose the antibiotic route. Definitely worth before dealing with opening her up. That and a daily soak which I think I'll do in the evening so she goes in her house at night nice and clean. So 500mg of amoxicillin twice daily and 50mg rimadyl twice daily for pain and swelling. This should do the trick.

She did real good at the vets. I muzzled just in case. Got her up on the table all 62.5 pounds of her and she just layed there quite docile while being examined. She was good but you could tell she was stressed. One thing is she is great in the car for the ride.

I think as far as the nails go I'm going to start fiddling with their feet and getting them used to it. Then in a couple of weeks get the sanding thing. I hate the clippers. I just hate it when they move or I go to short and hurt them. The pointer is the one who's nails are just out of control.

Well I'm gonna have to take my girl back to the vet. We did a full round of antibiotics and it's not any better. After the first couple of days the swelling went down some so things were looking up. But it's almost as bad as it was before I took her. The skin next to the pad is looking like it's wearing a little thin. It's possible that it will open up on it's own. Tomorrow it's gonna snow so I won't be able to take her. I just hate to have to take her and have them lance it and have to deal with paw care in such crummy weather. However my hubby was talking about putting them in the garage if we get into single digits. I think they would be warmer in their dog houses since they are insulated. Anyhow one way or another we should be going back to the vets this week. Poop.

Back
Top Bottom