My dogs teeth are yellow.

Yes u belive this is quite common
Very common.
My 7YO boy has some pretty funky teeth still. I am finally getting in the rut of remembering to give them bones, so its starting to help. Ember, my 1YO has pristine teeth. Never brushed them once. The only difference is she's been fed raw her whole life. Pretty interesting for me to see, kind of fascinating. :)

How does one go about introducing raw bones to a dog that's never had raw before and currently eats dry kibble? Could it be bad for their stomachs if they eat too much at first?
I would avoid marrow bones which are most commonly sold for dogs, and any long bones. Long bones are full of fatty marrow which is a big change for kibble fed dogs. Raw fed dogs have better gut health, so can handle the switch. Kibble fed dogs are much much more sensitive. Fatty marrow might be funky on a kibble fed dogs stomach.
Flat bones are softer, and don't have as much/any fatty marrow or cartilage, so the dog will just be stripping fresh meat from the bones. They really shouldn't even eat that much of the bone its self. Just stripping the goodies off of it.

My dog has very yellowish brown spots on her teeth and the vet doesn't seem concerned. They've never recommended raw to me and I'm sure they would just rather make me pay for teeth cleanings every few years instead. 😒

I would avoid marrow bones which are most commonly sold for dogs, and any long bones. Long bones are full of fatty marrow which is a big change for kibble fed dogs. Raw fed dogs have better gut health, so can handle the switch. Kibble fed dogs are much much more sensitive. Fatty marrow might be funky on a kibble fed dogs stomach.
Flat bones are softer, and don't have as much/any fatty marrow or cartilage, so the dog will just be stripping fresh meat from the bones. They really shouldn't even eat that much of the bone its self. Just stripping the goodies off of it.
Thanks!!

My dog has very yellowish brown spots on her teeth and the vet doesn't seem concerned. They've never recommended raw to me and I'm sure they would just rather make me pay for teeth cleanings every few years instead. 😒
Oh boy, I would go on and on about diet suggestions by vets. I wont start here, but in a nut shell, they aren't taught anything about nutrition in vet school. What they are taught is taught by Science Diet and Purina, which are the two worst dog food brands I can think of. I could go on and on about those brands as well, but wont go there here. But, with that in mind, a conventional vets dietary suggestions aren't completely clean, pretty biased.
And money is a huge factor.
I could go forever about vaccines as well.....
If anyone has any questions about anything above, I'd be happy to answer them. :p
But to summarize, I like to see a holistic vet and avoid conventional vets.

What they are taught is taught by Science Diet and Purina, which are the two worst dog food brands I can think of.
HA! Yep, our new vet has our dogs on an absolutely ridiculously expensive Purina prescription diet. And I tell them that my dog still has soft stool and they just say it'll be that way. And she has anal glad issues because of the soft stool and anal gland expressions are also ridiculously expensive!

HA! Yep, our new vet has our dogs on an absolutely ridiculously expensive Purina prescription diet. And I tell them that my dog still has soft stool and they just say it'll be that way. And she has anal glad issues because of the soft stool and anal gland expressions are also ridiculously expensive!
I would switch from Purina ASAP.
They're beef recipe is made from cows that die before the processing date. These cows die of a type of cancer that becomes part of their DNA. I am totally brain farting on what its called, but its one of the most common causes of early death in the beef industry. Then, when they take that meat and feed it to dogs, they're giving the dogs cancer because the meat is infected. I'm not joking, or making this up, thats what all the big brands do. And thats only beef.
Of course, I highly highly highly recommend a raw diet, but that doesn't work for everybody. If its something your reconsidering, RawDelivery.com is very affordable. Feel free to Pm me with any more questions, I'm totally highjacking this thread. Sorry Op! :p:oops:

I had my dog's teeth cleaned every few years, and brushed her teeth with that over the counter stuff, and her teeth are still in terrible condition. Pretty disappointing because I did try to avoid it. I used to give her those cheap white rawhides that may have contributed to breaking her teeth off. It is interesting that feeding raw helps preserve their teeth, I would be interested to know more about it.

Thanks! I believe the website is actually rawdeliverymn.com. Is that right?
Yep! I just switched my dogs to it after DIY for the past years. It is just a base mix, not a complete diet. You do need to do some supplementation, and that for me is somewhere around another 60ish a month to add vegetables, and kelp powder, Vitamin E and D, Green Tripe, and Hemp oil to make up for whats missing in the mix.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom