My drakes are driving me crazy! Can I separate them from the ducks, and put them all together?

azhenhouse

Songster
9 Years
11 Years
Jul 12, 2010
North Eastern Arizona
I have three Saxony drakes, and two Welsh Harlequin drakes that are being very aggressive toward the ducks. To the point of hurting the girls. I currently have them separated by breed, but can I put all the drakes together away from the ducks? Then, put all the ducks together away from the drakes? The ducks and drakes won't be able to see each other but will be able to hear each other. The WH drakes and ducks are much smaller than the Saxonys, and I don't want them to be hurt if I group them together. Do you think it would be o.k.?

The ducks should be fine together. The drakes may or may not get along. In their desire to breed they may pick a 'target' and try to breed him. Five drakes with any number of hens unless they have LOTS of space is a potential for injury to the hens. Once drakes develop the habit of gang breeding it is difficult to correct the behavior. Gang breeding can result in drowned or injured hens.

I had to seperate my drakes from my ducks in december. They were hurting my little WH ducks. I kept them seperated for about 2 weeks and then put them all back together and the drakes started up again. I seperated again the next day and kept them apart for about 3 weeks this time and turned them back together again last week and they are behaving very well now. I hope it last. This morning when I went to let them all out of their pens one of the ganders had stuck his head through the fence and had my pekin duck by the neck. I thought he was going to kill him before I got to them. I thought they would settle down after they were let out but my gander went after my pekin drake again and I had to seperate them into different runs. Breeding season is just beginning and I will sure be glad when its over.

Amiga, Thanks for the info. I will be keeping the drakes about sixty-five feet away from the ducks. I hope that is far enough.

Sourland, I found out the hard way about gang breeding. I had a near drowning with one of my ducks. I actually thought she died in my arms at one point, but she miraculously made it. Then, two of my girls suffered severe prolapses partly because of over breeding. Now one of my girls leg is all messed up because of over mating. I have had it with the guys! I hope the larger drakes don't pick on the smaller drake. It would make my life easier if they could all get along.

Rosebud 18, Yes, this breeding season is proving to be a challenge. I think that I will be keeping the drakes separated from the girls for quite some time, maybe permanently.

I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom