My drakes are fighting... should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LemonDoodles, Aug 8, 2011.

1. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    My two 4 mo old pekin drakes are fighting. I have no girls. For about the last 3 weeks, Muddy, the smaller and more aggressive of the two have been bullying Olive. He's been trying to mount him in the big pool and ends up chasing him out 4 or 5 times in a half hour span. In their pen, he chases him out of the little pool all the time. I guess turn about is fair play because this morning Olive started biting the top of Muddy's head and a big fight ensued. They looked like a couple of giraffes fighting with necks all over the place. Well, I got my camera to see if I could capture it. What I got was Olive looking like he was trying to drown Muddy. Now I'm really really worried. He's the video. All the action takes place before I broke it up. The first fight I saw started in the same manner... Olive standing on the side and head bobbing and then lunging for Muddy when he floated by. What are your thoughts?

2. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Please give me your thoughts. I don't want one of them to be hurt or killed....

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's misplaced mating behavior, and yes it is possible that one might drown the other. Possible but not probable in a one on one situation. Most drownings take place when a group of drakes gang breeds a hen. As we get into autumn this behavior should slacken, but it will reappear in the spring.

4. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I'll just have to keep a real close eye on them. I figured having 2 boys would be a piece of cake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by