Summer of Drakes

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
@Miss Lydia was right, this has turned out to be the summer of drakes. I tried to hatch 12 Dutch Hookbill eggs in June. Unfortunately, only one hatched. He turned out to be a sweet drake, Pickles. I searched for a friend for him. The breeder I got the eggs from also had a single duckling hatch out a few weeks later. So, I went and got it and five more eggs. He ended up being another beautiful drake, Noodles. One egg of the five hatched at the beginning of August. That sweet duckling is now almost 5 weeks old. 96% sure he is also a drake. He is so sweet that he puts his bill in my hand for bill rubs. Because he was an only duck he goes to school with me every day. This is him, his name is Skittles:
IMG_3918.jpeg

Since I would like Hookbill ducklings I broke down a purchased a 4 month old Hookbill female from another breeder who happened to be coming to my town. So, at least I have one girl. This is her. Her name is Twix.
IMG_3988.jpeg
Before you worry about my ratios. I have 4 other females and will not be keeping all the boys. The original breeder is willing to take them back and give me one more girl. Unfortunately, I love them all and deciding will be difficult. Anyway, I hope everyone else hasn't had an all drake summer as well.

@Miss Lydia was right, this has turned out to be the summer of drakes. I tried to hatch 12 Dutch Hookbill eggs in June. Unfortunately, only one hatched. He turned out to be a sweet drake, Pickles. I searched for a friend for him. The breeder I got the eggs from also had a single duckling hatch out a few weeks later. So, I went and got it and five more eggs. He ended up being another beautiful drake, Noodles. One egg of the five hatched at the beginning of August. That sweet duckling is now almost 5 weeks old. 96% sure he is also a drake. He is so sweet that he puts his bill in my hand for bill rubs. Because he was an only duck he goes to school with me every day. This is him, his name is Skittles:
View attachment 3633682

Since I would like Hookbill ducklings I broke down a purchased a 4 month old Hookbill female from another breeder who happened to be coming to my town. So, at least I have one girl. This is her. Her name is Twix.
View attachment 3633684Before you worry about my ratios. I have 4 other females and will not be keeping all the boys. The original breeder is willing to take them back and give me one more girl. Unfortunately, I love them all and deciding will be difficult. Anyway, I hope everyone else hasn't had an all drake summer as well.
I let my female Mallard hatch out 4 eggs and all were drakes. I have since then been buying my ducklings from Rural King as this Mallard throws off mainly drakes and I have given up on her hatching her own. It has been a drake summer for sure for me too.

And this isn't my first with a drake summer in 2019 5 Runner drakes and 1 female hatched. Thankfully a friend here on BYC helped me rehome 4 I just had to drive them up to Virginia but at least they got good homes. I kept one drake and the female. Then I lost that drake in 2021 [just found him dead in the coop no sign of sickness] So I thought I'd like to have another Runner drake and my Muscovy was broody so I gave her 2 Runner eggs well she blessed me with 2 boys. NO more hatching here. I am going to try my hardest to keep these boys and even got 4 more females so these guys have a 5 to 1 ratio if it still doesn't work It's either drake jail or rehome that decision will be made next spring. I now have 4 drake counting my Muscovy but thankfully he is happy with his 2 females and never messes with the runners or Buffs.

Back
Top Bottom